Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
does it vary at all after you let it idle for a few minutes?
have you ever had low oil problems?

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine does that to only when cold. When you first start the car let it run for 1 second and turn it off then start it again and the noise will be gone. It must be lifter tick which goes away after oil gets in there.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
Good Ole Lifter Tick! Won't hurt anything, just annoying. Only real remedy is new lifters with the bigger oil holes. Good old Mitsu design flaw:(

·
I like turtles
3,862 Posts
actually, you don't even need to go that far to get the noise to go away. Wickeddrew used 1 quart atf with dyno oil for 1000 miles and changed it again. Then put rislone and dyno oil in with no atf to keep cleaning. ATF has lots of detergents to help clean out those holes in the lifter so oil can get in. If ur optimistic about the atf then just run rislone and you should see a change over time.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Don't you people think that's a little too loud to be lifter tick? It does sound like it though...........does it go away somewhat after warm-up? Do you have any power loss?

edit: On second review of the tape I'm pretty sure it's lifter tick.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Freak Show said:
Don't you people think that's a little too loud to be lifter tick? It does sound like it though...........does it go away somewhat after warm-up? Do you have any power loss?

edit: On second review of the tape I'm pretty sure it's lifter tick.
Well my first guess was lifter tick, but even for lifter tick that seems a bit loud. That's why I was wondering if he has low oil problems. I would expect a little ticking on cold morning until the oil heats up, but that still seems a bit loud.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
Rebel said:
actually, you don't even need to go that far to get the noise to go away. Wickeddrew used 1 quart atf with dyno oil for 1000 miles and changed it again. Then put rislone and dyno oil in with no atf to keep cleaning. ATF has lots of detergents to help clean out those holes in the lifter so oil can get in. If ur optimistic about the atf then just run rislone and you should see a change over time.
lots try every oil mix trick in the book to no avail. Reason being is that it is bad design by Mitsu, the oil feed holes are just too small, replaceing the peice itself cures it every time and insures it will not come back.

·
blk93stealthes
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
acually about 2 weeks ago i noticed that i needed a quart of oil...could this be the reason why it makes that noice...also my dad says it is running rich.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
Low oil and low oil pressure will cuase lifter tick. Not enuf pressure or oil to get pushed thru the oiling holes of the lifter.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'd imagine the actual speed of the ticking is partially dependent on your set idle, so that could be the difference. Hopefully you get it fixed. I've been using rislone with every oil change now and it's slowly going away.

·
Registered
683 Posts
MY LIFTERS SUCK!!!!

My lifters have always been loud, but ever since it has gotten the the Winter, freezing they are not only loud, but don't stop ticking. Meaning, it used to be that I could warm up my car and they would stop, but with this colder weather, they don't!!!!

And I've switched to dino oil and put Rislone in......maybe some ATF is in my car's NEAR future. By the way, how do I do that ATF treatment-somebody please explain that to me.

THANKS!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts