Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Ninja
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering purchasing this but unsure on the price. any thoughts?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jeebus, I may have double the miles of that, but I wish I could get close to that price for my stock Spyder.

·
Super Moderator
21,519 Posts
That's a "collector" price ... we've seen similar pricing for low mile original rarer models especially the '99 VR-4 and the VR-4 Spyder. That kind of a price tag is a statement that the seller expects the demand of clean examples to continue to climb.

From a non-collector point of view, a car like that has historically been a solid $10k - $15k car.

Hope that helps answer the question.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's a pristine 95, I'll give it that, but agreed with lawdogg. If it was a low mile 99, or maybe even 98, I could see it. But that's collector price, for a car that really just hasn't hit collector value yet, if they ever will.

How important is stock mileage to you? For a lower price, you could easily restore something back to stock, or very close to it, as long as there wasn't rust damage. If you want a "collectors" piece, look for a 99(I'd say spyder but it depends on why you want the car), if that's within your price range.

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR-4
19 Posts
Honestly, the condition of that car isn't all that mind blowing.. Sure it's good, but I just spent 25k for a car that looks Almost as mint as that one.. actually moreso, since I have a lot less exhaust rust. My 1994 has 111,xxx and the turbos are starting to wear down, I keep blowing my EGR vacuum line off of the throttle body for some reason. It throws a code, I put the hose back on, code goes away. (shrug).. I'll get to it.

Cons:
-My ac compressor mechanically failed about a month ago..
-There is some ever-so-slight play in the front steering that can only be found with the wheels off the ground. It is not in any of the linkages, so I fear it is likely in the rack... rear is solid. Front strut bearings have play, but the struts (ECS equipped, a feature not available on this car.) themselves have 17k on them from prior owner (with receipts).
-My clutch is pretty worn and my 1-2 synchro is getting pretty bad. I skip 2nd gear completely until the car is at operating temp.
-both my driveshaft carriers have what I would consider to be huge slop in them.

The listing

The car is 100% complete, and totally stock. I would consider it a collector's piece. The maintenance record is something the owner took great pride in and even in it's current imperfect condition, I would absolutely trust it to immediately take me 1000 miles or more at the drop of a hat. It doesn't leak a drop of any fluid.
There is not a spot of rust anywhere on this car. It's in better condition than almost every newer car I've ever owned.

My car does not have a sunroof (which is a PRO for me. I'm a tall person)

In contrast, The '95 looks absolutely fantastic.. almost new paint and interior. now, I didn't have the time this summer to have the seats professionally restored, but aside from those seats, the interior of my car VS the '95 are virtually identical.. My car looked jaw dropping after a professional detail, just like this one, which they want 13k more for.. and the '94 is the last year that has the entire electronics package including active exhaust. It's also the only year with glass headlights. I must point out, that the active aero on the '95 is malfunctioning.. at first, I thought they might have manually deployed it to display it, but the front air dam isn't deployed.. so either the rear is stuck engaged, or the front is stuck disengaged.

I'm just trying to make comparisons for otherwise very similar vehicles. I'm finding a hard time justifying an extra 13k for little more than lower odometer numbers. Even after i repair the items I've mentioned, I will be coming out ahead of the '95's price.. and that's assuming the malfunctioning aero is the absolute only issue it has.

I wouldn't pay more than 30k for that car, but I find mileage to be a little less of a turn-off than some people.

Is it overpriced?... the better question would be;

do YOU think it's worth it? because I've had the best driving experience of my life this summer, and I'm 35 years old.

·
AWD rules
1994 3000GT SL TT ATX
4,540 Posts
It can be debatable on to whether how much it's worth. Based from what I've seen, it might be a little overpriced, but not a whole lot.

Currently, there is a 98 VR-4 with 7k miles for sale in Washington (on FB marketplace) for $33,000. The owner claims he/she saw a 94 with similar miles sell at an auction for $36k.

If you look at BaT, low mileage 2nd-3rd gen VR-4s (non-spyders) seem to have sold between $28k and $35k.

I saw another 97 VR-4 for sale on autotrader with 58k miles up for $30k. It's no longer listed anymore (I don't know what it sold for).

I saw a 95 VR-4 for sale on craigslist for $28k that had 88,000 miles on it, and it's not longer listed anymore (I don't know what it sold for).

I saw a 95 VR-4 with 34k miles on it a couple of months ago on FB marketplace, the price was reduced to $27,000, and it sold a week or so later.

I saw the very last 99 VR-4 ever made post up for sale recently for $40,000 with 72k miles on it, and it apparently sold within a week or two.

There' s 97 VR-4 with 134k miles on it listed for $20,000, looks to be in good condition, but it has been sitting for sale for quite some time.

I've seen a variety of other VR-4s for sale approaching 100k miles between $15k-$20k. I inquired about a 97 VR-4 with 66k miles on it in Denver. Carfax revealed the car had been totalled in 2012. The pictures the seller posted were of other 97 VR-4s, but it apparently ended up being marked as sold (I stayed away from this).

I've seen a couple of VR-4s for sale under 90k miles with an asking price of around $8k, but they either needed a new paint job and new interior, or needed to finish an engine rebuild.

I saw a red 97 VR-4 for sale with 75k miles asking $17,500, but it definitely needed a paint job.

Prices are all over. If you are up for a project, you can pick on up cheaper. If you don't have time for one and want to drive one in near mint condition, expect to pay a premium. It seems that car magazines are saying the VR-4 is one of the cars to appreciate over time, but who truly knows.

I, personally, wouldn't pay $38k. If it is exactly the year/color you are looking for (and low mileage), I would be open to around $30k, otherwise, I might consider waiting. Like I said, this one sold not too long ago:

Marketplace - 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT · VR-4 Coupe 2D | Facebook

Reactions: Wallard

·
AWD rules
1994 3000GT SL TT ATX
4,540 Posts
SLguy. That is some impressive pricing research. Thanks for sharing this information!
I only knew because I had been looking for a VR-4 myself and have been searching for the right one for several months. I actually just bought one a couple of weeks ago, it's supposed to be delivered today. I have still been vaguely looking at the current market because just to ensure I didn't pay too much.

Edit: Just after I posted this, a 1995 White VR-4 with 25k miles just came up for sale on BaT. We can see what it ends up selling for. Bidding is up to $20k already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts