Discussion Starter · #1 ·
didn't post any names, but i got this in my email

Hey man....I read your sig... do NOT buy the 357 turbos. NO ONE
has run fast times with them and they are not proven. I was very
disappointed in mine, running [email protected] tops. Others have gotten
low 12's but you could save alot of money and buy a set of 15G's
on a group buy and get similar performance! Save you dough and
upgrade to the TD05 kit or get a set of 13G or 15G's and just have
fun with them (still be a solid low 12 second ride, my buddy with 13G's runs 12.6 @114!!!

here's my reply
i don't know what's your problem, many people have 357's and are very satisfied with them. the reason there's no times is people either don't know shit how to drive or tune their car. gimme a break they are bigger than the REAL 15G's, the 15G's you buy from TEC are really only 13G's. oh and also you can run as low as 12.4 on stock turbos with 450cc's, exhaust, intake, udp, bc, sAFC etc.

so really i don't know why you are knocking on them. please explain in detail
what do you people think?

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
dunno what to tell you. I think 99 missile was the fastest 357 owner? err- did he have 347?

I think we have too many issues OTHER than the turbos that turbo choice is really irrelevant.

I personally think anyone who upgrades turbos before -

clutch
CFDS
Alum fly
UDP
Downpipe
ehxaust
intake
boost controller
denso pump
and figuring out what injectors, and what fuel control they are using

are just asking for some serious issues.

Tuning and poor parts combo's is the biggest issue. Not 13G's vs 347's vs DR500 vs T66... :)

You WILL need a clutch when you add turbos- period.
You would do well to get an alum flywheel when you do clutch (or go carbon RPS)
you need downpipe
you will need a catback with upgraded turbos (remember phalse running ONE 13g found 3mph by dropping the catback)
you WILL need fuel if you are really gonna push ANY aftermarket turbo- and for that matter you will need fuel if you are gonna push the STOCK turbos.

Step back and look at the full picture down the road. If you KNOW you'll need a clutch- you'd do better to buy it now, and make sure it's the carbon RPS unit (single or dual your call). You know you are gonna have to tune someday- you can get a Wideband for about twice what two stock narrow O2's are gonna be. You know you will trash carrier bearings someday- you might as well get a CFDS.

Look at the things that you KNOW will go- and replace them ONLY once. You will save a ton of money, and you will know your car much better.

I truly recommend anyone who is gonna be serious, get the EMS from the start IF YOU CAN DEAL WITH IT PROPERLY. The longer you have that and you watch each change from the bone stock- the better you will know it and the better you will be at troubleshooting and killing problems before they start.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
bottom line, the dude can't drive. There's STOCKERS getting those times (although with only aroud 109-110 traps). He's blaming his driving abilities on the turbos.

Hell, I know of many guys running 12.1-2 on STOCKERS, and I know of a couple in the mid-high 11's with 347's!

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
But if the fastest time on 357's is only a low 12. And you can get similar times out of a stock turbo or a turbo that cost less than then why spend the extra money?

-Jeff

and no I didn't send him an e-mail.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
It's all about driving ability. If you want to see what kind of power a turbo can put down look at trap speeds. 114 mph traps could easily be a 12 flat.

·
Native
3,894 Posts
I still have the vid somewhere of 99Missile smokin the shit out of a viper w/ GT357s. I think they're plenty capable.

I upgraded turbos first cause I thought mine were broken, and I got a great deal on the 13Gs. I'm catching up slowly, on everything else that Shadowfax listed.

As for MPH vs ET, ETs win races, but on a street driven car it sure feels nice to drop a gear and hammer it to show what those higher mph traps feel like :)

·
3si member #294
3,397 Posts
russianstealth said:
gimme a break they are bigger than the REAL 15G's, the 15G's you buy from TEC are really only 13G's.
I dont agree with that, TEC 15g's may not be "true" 15g's but there not that same as 13g's obviously, they flow more.

I had nothing to do with the email either, but 357's have never proved themselves like 15g's, 368's, or 650's.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I dunno.....just sounds like he was sharing an opinion with you. Don't know why you are jumping down his throat although it is true he didn't provide much evidence to back up his argument.

Can someone please post WHICH TURBOS FROM ONE COMPANY COMPARE TO THE OTHERS>>>SIZE WISE

Example
13G's are similar to GT357s
or like
TEC17Gs are similar to DR500s

This might not be correct but Im looking for some sort of comparable graph.

·
former 3s owner :**
2,561 Posts
i can only dream that my car would reach those modification levels, maybe after my payments are up. :D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
VRMAN said:
I dunno.....just sounds like he was sharing an opinion with you. Don't know why you are jumping down his throat although it is true he didn't provide much evidence to back up his argument.

I Agree 100%. His intentions were good, don't bash him for his ignorance.

·
Banned
10,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think the comparison goes like this
1. 13g, dr500, gt347
2. 15g, 357magnum, dr650 r
not sure about 17g's but 368's mentioned abouve are way out of the league of these turbos. also i think they go in the order of performance too.

btw, i didn't jump his throat, i didn't post his name or anything, just threw this out here to get your guys opinions.

·
Native
3,894 Posts
I would say more accurately

9b < 13G

13G < GT347 = DR500<17G

17G=GT357 Magnum < DR650-R

DR650-R < TDO5-14B < GT368sx (roughly) < TDO5-16G < TDO5- 18G < TDO5-20G

KING OF ALL = HKS/Garrett GT2835 Turbo (DN performance's)

GT399Rs might be the real king though, but I don't think they're available to joe blow's like me and you yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.