Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I an not sure if this is the right place to post this but if there is a correct place please feel free to suggest it. So I am thinking of buying a 1995 3000gt SL. It is auto trans (idk how to drive manual) and has 135k miles. The transmission is rebuilt by the current owner and has paperwork and 10year warranty. The guy says the alternator and power steering is doesnt work good while the car isnt moving. He says he can fix them up before pick up with no change is price. The price of the car is $4000. Is that a fair price or am I getting ripped off?

· Registered
37 Posts
From what I've heard the auto trans in these cars can be very troublesome. I know someone who's car lived at the transmission shop as it was always getting worked on. Learn to drive manual and you'll be rewarded with a faster car with more reliability. There's plenty of manual NA cars available. That's just my two cents.

· Registered
49 Posts
I have 91 SL thats a automatic with about 158,000 ish miles. I would not recommend. I bought it for 2k since It had a rebuilt engine but im currently working on a manual swap. But from the owners they told me they've had there transmission rebuilt twice and even right now it doesn't feel right. Id agree with Dandaves.

· Registered
'98 NZ Green Pearl 3000GT SL
11 Posts
Well to give you a price perspective, I got my 1998 SL with a manual with 65k miles for $5000. I think that what Dan said was right and you should learn to drive a manual and purchase one with a manual transmission. From what I've heard and researched the auto transmissions only have problems.

· Registered
9 Posts
I agree with everyone here. I manual swaped my 91 SL after the auto trans got stuck in 4th and I would never look back. That's also how I learned to drive a Manual. Manual in these cars is so much more enjoyable And less problematic. Regardless that he is willing to fix it before you take delivery, 4k is way to steep for a car with drivability issues in my opinion. I wouldnt go as far as to call it a rip off but id keep looking

· Registered
1,503 Posts
Looks like a parts car, definitely not worth much more that $1k. Save your money for something better, $4k will buy a nice NA.

· 3S addict since '95
1,884 Posts
Not an all-together terrible price. But It needs to work right... power steering, alternator... everything. '93-up is a very good thing. Glass roof... even better!! But it's not a Turbo and it's not a manual trans, so it needs to all work right to command that price. If something needs fixed for it to work right, it needs to be deducted.

20,248 Posts
In today's economy I could easily see that bringing 3K.

The auto is fine with a shift kit. Stronger than the FWD manual actually.

· Curmudgeon
5,985 Posts
The guy says the alternator and power steering is doesnt work good while the car isnt moving. He says he can fix them up before pick up with no change is price.
This line always kills me. Basically what he"s saying is that HE doesn't think it's worth fixing but with YOUR money he'll do it... My answer to all these "buy it and I'll fix it" or "It's got this but it's an Easy Fix" deals is OK then, let me know when it's ready to sell. Then we'll talk.
As is? It's a non-running NA with rust starting under the gas door (Be careful with that, it can get serious.. )
$500. If I'm in a good mood.
All fixed and running correctly? $1500-$2k
Running with the rust repaired? $2500-$3k.
But, HE doesn't think it's worth putting the money into. I'd take his word on it....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts