Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the flex piece on my 91gtsl and when I was getting the car ready for winter storage and changing the oil I noticed that the new flex piece was not the same size he used a smaller one and downsized from 3 inch to 2.5 my mechanic thought this was not real great for the engine the muffler guy says no problem who's right

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
How do you know if the inside is smaller ? It probably looks smaller but is the same dia. Just make sure it is the same size but of course it never is 3" in the inside.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Wouldn't be really bad for the motor anyway, maybe slightly hotter egt's. In NA cars, I might suggest that it would improve low end power a bit, at the expense of some high end power due to increased back pressure. In turbo cars, back press. is not such a benefit, right Roger? Does the car feel any better/ worse? Let that decide for you.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pipe the flex piece is connected to is smaller and to get the two pipes to meet he had to use a lot of weld b.t.w it does seem a bit stronger in low end power but this could just be to the fact that I haven't been driving the car muchj cause it is almost time to store and after driving my winter car an 87 cavalier with automatic 4cylinder well lets just say it feels real good to get into the 3000
anyway if it is not hurting anything I won;t worry about it thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts