Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Want Some?
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My master clutch cylinder is going out and I plan on buying a new one to replace it. Just wondering if it is difficult to replace?

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Hey! Look at my write-up in Andrew's FAQ!

i did it 6 times :cool:

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
give yourself an 1-1.5 hours to remove the old and prepare the new. Then 45 minutes to install. You'll then have to bleed the clucth (another 30+ minutes) and bleed the brakes a little...

My first time it took 5 hours with a couple of terribly stuck bolts that took over an hour each

I would swap out the slave cylinder while I was doing the job...its much easier...a 45 minute total job

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Yeah it's a real PITA! Took me 3-4 hours. Besides having to be a contorsionist to get up under the pedals to remove the bolts, removing that clutch booster line took a long time. You also have to remove the brake MC and booster.

Have fun!

·
Want Some?
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andrew Caple said:
You putz!!! I thought I answered your question over on the FAQ board.
Dude...I didn't even know I asked it :D Oh well...looks like a couple of hours of work for me.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You don't HAVE to remove the brake booster and all that other mess. You just have to have a pair of small hands and a lot of patience, and you can get down to the master and remove it. Remember to bleed the brakes though :)

T

·
0 Posts
How about the slave cylinder? How hard is that? My brothers Stealth ES just leaked out all of it's clutch fluid the other day, and it seems to leak from right under the tranny, so I'm guessing that's where the the clutch release cylinder or slave cylinder is located. Do these go bad as well? Should I get the whole cylinder or just the rebuild kit?

Thanks.

Tom
92 RT/TT

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Slave cylinder is a piece of cake, I also wrote up instructions available in Andrew's FAQ. It is on top of the tranny and easy to get to if you remove the battery and pull the washer fluid bottle off to the side. It took me about 45 minutes for the whole process. I would go with a rebuild kit, it should have everything you need and only be like $12.

Go check out the FAQ!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
JeffWVR4 said:
Yeah it's a real PITA! Took me 3-4 hours. Besides having to be a contorsionist to get up under the pedals to remove the bolts, removing that clutch booster line took a long time.
Yes, unbolting the brake booster from under the dash is a PITA but you can just pull the brake booster forward a few inches instead of removing it completely. Then you can get a small socket in there to remove the clutch master.

I thought removing the vacuum line to the clutch cylinder was easy ... :D

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'll do it for you for 50 bucks... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts