Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Just got a VCU, shift forks and a few misc parts from FlyingVR4. His VCU was in very good shape. Also my shift forks had about 1/8 inch worn off. My reverse syncro also is showing wear.

I am looking for an 18 spline output shaft also. Mine has the sawtooth pattern.

Jack's tansmission has a really great technical portion to his site and reasonable prices for parts.

I can see why others recommend him.
Tech Articles ? Jacks Transmissions

He does rebuilds for just over a grand, which is also very competitive.

I am about at the point of no return although I still wish I could find a JDM w5mg1 at a decent price.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Need to apologize to Forest and Kawik101. You were both right about the rabbit pellets being needle bearings. I was reading about someone else who also had their tranny run dry and it melted the casing of the needle bearings. I am guessing they are no longer round because they were worn down against the reverse gear i.d. after the bearing casing melted. In my defense there were little if no signs left of the bearing housing.

Just to be clear the reverse gear (21) rides on the needle Bearing part (22)?

intermediate_shaft.JPG

those are needle bearings
Those needles are from the reverse gear- wheres the rest of the tapered bearing??
To get the VCU housing out you need to pull the gear and taper bearing in the next shaft over. Tried the pry method. Maybe it works on the 6 speed?

I have included a few more pictures but still have not had time to pull out the VCU and examine it. Hopefully tomorrow.

Hopefully you can see that the bits are not needle bearings.

View attachment 166938

View attachment 166946

View attachment 166954

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Need to find a source for the intermediate shaft needle bearings. Seems that the bearing kits that I looked at do not include the needle bearings for the intermediate shafts. Not sure why they are not included, hopefully because the are easy to find lol. You would think needle bearings with a plastic housing would be included in any bearing set.

17,491 Posts
Need to find a source for the intermediate shaft needle bearings. Seems that the bearing kits that I looked at do not include the needle bearings for the intermediate shafts. Not sure why they are not included, hopefully because the are easy to find lol. You would think needle bearings with a plastic housing would be included in any bearing set.
I think I have a bunch of different ones if you measure yours and tell me what you need.

·
Slowly rebuilding...
702 Posts
I just wanna say that it's nice to see someone taking the initiative to tear a transmission down and figure out what's wrong rather than just "Eh, it broke... buy another and junk the old."

Hats off to you.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I just wanna say that it's nice to see someone taking the initiative to tear a transmission down and figure out what's wrong rather than just "Eh, it broke... buy another and junk the old."

Hats off to you.
Thanks for the compliment. Jury is still out to see if I actually fix it. But it was fun finding out what was wrong.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
At the wise counsel of a few members I went ahead and bought a jdm transmission. Got a good deal but the output shaft is worn. The transfer case spool is about 1/2 worn.

Before I had found the JDM tranny, I picked up a VCU shaft assembly from Flying VR4 for the VCU since the os was also worn. It is for a 25 spline tranny. I am thinking of upgrading my jdm transmission to use an Output shaft that has 25 splines. I have all of the parts except the input os/spool and conversion seal for the bell housing.

So, I need a 25 spline output shaft and input spool and a conversion seal. Also need to know where to go in SW ohio to have the knew input spool pressed off and on. I know of a local shop but would prefer someone who has seen our transfer cases.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
So, an update to the transmission stuff. I ended up buying a 25 spline shaft and input spool from the dreaded e-bay. Since my build is stock oem it should be fine for another 20 years or more. I replaced all of the seals in the JDM transmission. I am currently re-assemblying the transmission.
I made a video that demonstrates how to install a key ball bearing and spring in the sycronizer assembly for the 5th/reverse gear that I had to remove to install the new shaft. Not sure if it should go in a wiki. Also installed the spool and re-sealed the transfer case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47D75aKPOQ8

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
More transmission work coming! My son's 25 spline input spool and output shaft need replaced. Against my better judgement, I was thinking about trying to replace the output shaft with the tranny still in the car. I have done it once out of the car for mine, so now maybe I will have the full experience. Transfer case also needs re-sealed. Carrier bearings need replaced as well.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts