Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the rear cover of my transmission off of my 92 TT to replace it due to a cracked drain plug thread. No oil was remaining in the transmission when I went to drain it, so I suspect the worst. This is the first time I have opened any transmission so I would appreciate any input.

The transmission has about 140k on it, in addition to the leakage problem. I have never drove the car so I have no idea how it was working.

Is it possible to have this much sludge/metal particles and still be in operating condition?

Also, if there are any checks or things to replace with minimal transmission knowledge while it is open, Please let me know.

Thank you. DSC_0267_cover2.jpg

DSC_0266cover3.jpg

DSC_0269cover4.jpg

·
It's a dry heat!
462 Posts
I would look for another trans that don't look salvageable without putting many new parts in.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had to look find out which one was a vcu. Also read part of a book on transmissions, so I am now an expert. Anyway it said something about looking at the gear teeth for wear. I found some. Not sure if it is a show stopper, since there are no chips, but there is definite hard wear.

DSC_0289vcu1.jpg

DSC_0288vcu2.jpg

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Gear with the worst wear. This is the end of the intermediate shaft, I think.

DSC_0274_gears1.jpg

DSC_0275gears2.jpg

DSC_0282gear3.jpg

Also, there is a lingering bad smell like a burnt clutch. I have not taken the bell housing off yet.

·
Premium Member
17,963 Posts
You took a pic of the VCU housing. The VCU is inside that. The go does look like VCU goo.

Coop

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You took a pic of the VCU housing. The VCU is inside that. The go does look like VCU goo.

Coop
Sorry, at least I was in the general location. Really don't know enough about transmissions to be tearing into it and expect it to ever work again. Any advice or references(video's or a more detailed manual than what is on 3sx) would be appreciated.

·
It's in the works...
377 Posts
There is a great write up in the wiki that helped me through my rebuild. Iirc the vcu if you just grab it you can pull it straight towards you

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a great write up in the wiki that helped me through my rebuild. Iirc the vcu if you just grab it you can pull it straight towards you
Is this what you are talking about?

Transmission Rebuild 5-spd AWD Getrag - 3SI Wiki

If so, it was pretty good, but I need more background info. What to look for, what to replace and how to check things like wear limits.

Thanks for advice on the vcu, I will try that and see if it turns freely. Heard that if it turns easily it is probably broken. They gave a torque specification but it was not related to an rpm.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Those gears look bad. I think I showed you on my transmission with it apart, the gears had zero wear. I would just replace the transmission. You could do like me and if there are any internals that are salvageable for resale to help offset the costs.

17,431 Posts

·
It's in the works...
377 Posts
Is this what you are talking about?

Transmission Rebuild 5-spd AWD Getrag - 3SI Wiki

If so, it was pretty good, but I need more background info. What to look for, what to replace and how to check things like wear limits.

Thanks for advice on the vcu, I will try that and see if it turns freely. Heard that if it turns easily it is probably broken. They gave a torque specification but it was not related to an rpm.
Yeah that helped me immensely while upgrading and replacing my parts.

·
It's a dry heat!
462 Posts
If your going to try and rebuild, what I did (long ago) when I had no manuals is get a long table lay it out in order as you take it apart, take lots of pics and make notes. Ask questions on anything your not sure of. The worst I had to do was Italian transmissions...lots of shims and spacers. Since you had not driven it you don't know how the syncros were working so close inspection of every part will be the only option, I allways used OEM parts (at great expense) and had no issues other than some new syncros I had to burn in a bit at a standstill, aftermarket parts may be effy. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I noticed a metal flake 3/8" long and 1/8" wide and paper thin. What could cause such a big flake? Syncro? Sleeve bearing? Every thing looks ok as it is still assembled. Found a description of someone removing pins from the vcu housing to take out the vCU. That is the next step.

Also noticed the bell housing has been welded. Starting to wonder if crap got in through the crack?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts