Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I thought the problem was somewhere in the rear but its not it feels like it right under my shifter. I get a strong virberation sometimes at slow speeds but when I speed up it clears up. Any suggestions

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
If you're feeling it IN the shifter, it's something up front - shifter is connected via cables. If it's UNDER the shifter, could be a carrier bearing? Is it vibrations or klunking. Any more details/description you can offer?

A dead motor mount would actually transfer LESS vibration as the motor would literally be almost "floating" with nothing really HOLDING it in place, but rather the mounts just there to keep it from spinning/torqueing right out of teh bay. Upper engine (driver side) and tranny are pretty easy to check. For the lowers, rev the gas and see how much teh motor twists front to back. If it a lot (more than 0.5" to 1.0" or so, I'd say the lower mounts are probably bad. The motor will have some play, but too much lan lead to damage to attached parts (axle seals, carrier bearings, etc).

EricB

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It comes from under the shifter. it very weird feeling. I check the downpipe and it bolted on to the engine very good. Its something down there. I get a high winging noise when i increase RPM but i think its a pulley or something.

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
So this noise is directly related to engine rpms not vehicle speed? If it related to engine rpms you should be able to pin point it with a stethoscope if not your ear. Maybe you have too problems? A wine and a vibration.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I;m sorry yeah its Two different problems, one is the wynning is the pulley dont know which but its one of those.. and the viberation I think is the carrier bearing. anyone think different??

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
To find which pulley it is take the belt off and check for play in the bearings of the pulleys. Usually if they are bad enough to wine then they have play in the bearings.

I have heard a lot of storys about and have seen first hand people who replace the carrier bearings for the drive shafts. When you inspect them you will knowtis they do have a lot of play in them and you can move them around quit a bit. This is normal however. A buddy of mine replaced his and the brand spanking new ones had just as much play. Just as all the other stories I have heard go the say way. If you can feel it in the shift and not the seat of the car then I would say it is something else probably. Usually drive train imballances get worse with speed. But not all ways. See if you can get it to vibrate in first and second gear. You may want to jack the front wheels up and check for play in the steering and suspension. Let me know if you aren't sure what all to look for. If you could describe how the vibration feels and where specifically it is comeing from that would help too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts