Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Is it true my blow off valve has a silencer i can take off?

4K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  Wicked91RT 
#1 ·
is it easy? does it effect performance? thanks for everything.

#2 ·
I believe you are thinking of the tubing inside the plastic oval that is directly behind the MAS. If you take that off and feel inside, there are some plastic tubes in there that direct airflow from the BOV. I yanked it out of mine, but am not really sure if it affects anything.

G
#4 ·
I thought...

Stock BOV's are closed and aftermarket BOV's are open element? Meaning they send the excess air out instead of recirculating it. So you guys take off some plastic peices inside the pipe that connects the BOV and it can make that loud BOV sound? I am just curious... I won't bother buying an aftermarket BOV if I can just get a stock one and modify it... Bryan

#5 ·
You dont remove anything that will affect the plumbing of the BOV. If you take your MAS off, the roud thing it connects to has some tubes in it. yanking those out are what we are talking about. Those tubes channel the vented air from the BOV into the two intake tracts. The air will still go into the intake, only now there are no plastic tubes in its way.

#6 ·
Yep, another JohnM-posted mod at your service :)

G
#8 ·
Hmm...Let me get this straight...

So it is the pipe from the MAS to the intake manifold that has the plastic things to be removed? So If I were to get an aftermarket intake pipe with the stock BOV it will make that sound? This is very intresting.. I though that the sound was produced when the air is released to the open air... Please let me know if what I descibed earlier is correct... Thanks... Bryan

#9 ·
Yes - any aftermarket intake pipe won't have that plastic Y inside it so the stock BOV will be louder.

#10 ·
Yup that is how it goes. Drozzix has the Steal Intake Pipes from DN Performance and a K & N filter and that engine screams. My stock car sounds like a bitch next to his an mine is a DOHC compared to his SOHC. LOL:D Luv that sound.HEHE

#12 · (Edited)
Just to clarify before I do something I shouldn't, these are the tubes you are talking about right? Circled in yellow.

http://communities.msn.com/ChadsSuperPhotos/photos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=164

Ok, on reassembly, I put the BOV back into the big tube right? I want the cool swoosh sound. Thanks.

Edit: BTW, this isn't my car, I got the pic off Jeff's site. I have the stock BOV.

Just got back from a test drive, can't say I notice any difference, except maybe I seem to hear the turbos spooling more.

#15 ·
i just did this, and it seems a bit louder.

I found some oil inside where the tubes where, what does this mean? Are my turbo's going out on me?

#17 ·
i like the type-s BOV's sound much better than stock. and getting the FIPK or any other aftermarket intake that replaces the stock airbox will make the BOV louder.

#18 ·
I also just got back from trying this, It seamed to me to make a differance, like my turbos were louder or my engine was working harder. I did her the whosh sound but it did not seam to be very much louder, but It started sooner

#19 ·
not dirt in their, definately oil! I reached inside the tube, and further down still oil...I have no clue.

anyways, I did this mod, and it seems to make recovery after each shift better, is this possible or am I just crazy?

#20 ·
what does a fuel pump relay bypass mod do for you?

#21 ·
it makes your stock fuel pump run at a constant 12V. normally, it runs under 10V and under 12V at WOT i think.

#22 ·
WOT??? how much boost can you do with the stock fuel pump w/ 500cc injectors

#23 ·
Wide-Open-Throttle... as for the boost question don't know. i didn't start messing with my boost yet

#24 ·
fuel pump relay bypass really only does something if your present connections there are eroded or worn out.

As far as boost goes with 550's and stock fuel pump....I thinkk you need an upgraded fuel pump to run 550's, the stock pump will not flow enough.

From my reading at stealth316.com , the stock fuel pump is barely adequite for running stock boost.

So if you upgrade the injectors, dont forget an afc and a new fuel pump to go with it!

#25 ·
Bypassing the relay will just make for a bit of a better connection and a fried fuel pump if something goes wacky with your electrical. You would need to actually run a 12v Hotwire directly from the battery or other 12v source (ignition wire?) to maintain full flow. What the fuel pump actually gets is anywhere from 9.5v to 13.5v
Upgrading the fuel pump is necessary for anything over the stock injectors. With 13G's (or equivalent), you'd be hard pressed to maintain 14psi all the way to redline without fuel cut or something to that effect (not sure if you'll actually hit fuel cut, but I think I've heard of it happening, even with a boost level as small as that).

Also, check the Y-Pipe for oil. If there's a bit of standstill oil in the Y-pipe (and/or if you occasionally get blue-grey smoke out the tail pipes) Then your turbos are probably blown. I just installed my DR500's and I still get that film around my intake pipes. Thats just the way turbos are though.

#26 ·
Quick question, would the "tennis ball" mod be considered a "JohnM" mod?
I mean cramming a tennis ball between the Y-pipe and the battery so you can run over 15psi without it blowing off. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.