Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it easy? does it effect performance? thanks for everything.

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
I believe you are thinking of the tubing inside the plastic oval that is directly behind the MAS. If you take that off and feel inside, there are some plastic tubes in there that direct airflow from the BOV. I yanked it out of mine, but am not really sure if it affects anything.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It don't give hp or anything. It sounds like a real bov though.
I sold my ssq bov because I liked the sound of stock better.

N

·
0 Posts
I thought...

Stock BOV's are closed and aftermarket BOV's are open element? Meaning they send the excess air out instead of recirculating it. So you guys take off some plastic peices inside the pipe that connects the BOV and it can make that loud BOV sound? I am just curious... I won't bother buying an aftermarket BOV if I can just get a stock one and modify it... Bryan

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
You dont remove anything that will affect the plumbing of the BOV. If you take your MAS off, the roud thing it connects to has some tubes in it. yanking those out are what we are talking about. Those tubes channel the vented air from the BOV into the two intake tracts. The air will still go into the intake, only now there are no plastic tubes in its way.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Yep, another JohnM-posted mod at your service :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
it sounds really good, and loud. vvvrrrrrrrrrroooooommmmSSWWISSSSSSHHHH

vvvrrrrrrrrrroooooommmmSSWWISSSSSSHHHH

I like it better than the HKSTHanks JohnM

N

·
0 Posts
Hmm...Let me get this straight...

So it is the pipe from the MAS to the intake manifold that has the plastic things to be removed? So If I were to get an aftermarket intake pipe with the stock BOV it will make that sound? This is very intresting.. I though that the sound was produced when the air is released to the open air... Please let me know if what I descibed earlier is correct... Thanks... Bryan

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Yes - any aftermarket intake pipe won't have that plastic Y inside it so the stock BOV will be louder.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yup that is how it goes. Drozzix has the Steal Intake Pipes from DN Performance and a K & N filter and that engine screams. My stock car sounds like a bitch next to his an mine is a DOHC compared to his SOHC. LOL:D Luv that sound.HEHE

·
racing is war
1,418 Posts
hmm

got any pics of what your are talking about removing to do this?

·
Dare to be Stupid
2,739 Posts
Just to clarify before I do something I shouldn't, these are the tubes you are talking about right? Circled in yellow.

http://communities.msn.com/ChadsSuperPhotos/photos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=164

Ok, on reassembly, I put the BOV back into the big tube right? I want the cool swoosh sound. Thanks.

Edit: BTW, this isn't my car, I got the pic off Jeff's site. I have the stock BOV.

Just got back from a test drive, can't say I notice any difference, except maybe I seem to hear the turbos spooling more.

·
Registered
871 Posts
yup, that's it. You should notice a HUGE differience. I couldn't even hear my stock bov before. The more boost you build, the louder it is.

·
Dare to be Stupid
2,739 Posts
After further research it seems my problem is I still have the stock airbox which holds the sound in. Time for K&N I guess. Having a hard time shelling out $150 for an air filter though. Oh well, it can wait I guess.

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
i just did this, and it seems a bit louder.

I found some oil inside where the tubes where, what does this mean? Are my turbo's going out on me?

·
Registered
871 Posts
It's not oil, it's just dirt that got passed the air filter. If you think that looks bad, look in the plenum and the manifold!

·
Registered
459 Posts
i like the type-s BOV's sound much better than stock. and getting the FIPK or any other aftermarket intake that replaces the stock airbox will make the BOV louder.

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
I also just got back from trying this, It seamed to me to make a differance, like my turbos were louder or my engine was working harder. I did her the whosh sound but it did not seam to be very much louder, but It started sooner

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
not dirt in their, definately oil! I reached inside the tube, and further down still oil...I have no clue.

anyways, I did this mod, and it seems to make recovery after each shift better, is this possible or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
578 Posts
what does a fuel pump relay bypass mod do for you?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts