1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iceccool2 said:
NJ front and back
Let me elaborate for a sec.

I'm going back to NJ for 3 weeks for winter vacation. That is when I plan to buy the car. The car already has no front plate bracket nor do I want one.

Think I can get away with not having one in the front for 2 weeks? (I am shipping the car to Hawai'i right after New Year's). I have friends in NJ who get away with not having a plate in the front (they have large-intake ricers).

In Hawai'i anything goes. Seriouslly what's illegal to do to your car in any mainland state is done here all the time.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've been pulled over for this so many times in TX that its not even funny. Each and every cop has told me some type of different answer as to whether or not they are required. Some say no, some yes, some say its ok to display it in the front windshield, some say that is unnacceptible. The last time I had a cop tell me that I needed to drill some holes in the 99 front end to get it to fit. After 5 min of laughing hysterically at the mere thought of me drilling into the bumper to satisfy his dumb ass he told me that it really didnt matter. THere probably is NO specific law in TX on this issue, it just gives the cops another reason to pull you over and run you license and harrass in general. Bastards.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I saw people in NJ who display their plate on the front windshield.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Mr. Hawaii - the laws don't depend on what state you're in; they depend on what state the vehicle is registered in. If your car is going to be registered in NJ, then you have to follow NJ law (maybe you're only getting a trip permit there anyway?). If you have the car registered in Hawaii but are driving it in NJ, then, thanks to the Constitution, NJ cops give full faith and credence to Hawaii law, and permit you to drive around with whatever plates Hawii does or does not require.

Mr. Texas - there *will* be a specific law in Texas about where your plate goes. The fact that no cop seems to know what that law is is no surprise. Look at the Texas government web site, and you'll probably find that they have the state laws on-line as well. Find the one that pertains to licence plates. It will tell you where the plate goes, how high from the ground it must be, at what distance it must be visible, that the lettering must be horizontal, and all that sort of crap. Odds are that the way the law is written will preclude you from leaving it on the dashboard in the windshield.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andrew Caple said:
Mr. Hawaii - the laws don't depend on what state you're in; they depend on what state the vehicle is registered in. If your car is going to be registered in NJ, then you have to follow NJ law (maybe you're only getting a trip permit there anyway?). If you have the car registered in Hawaii but are driving it in NJ, then, thanks to the Constitution, NJ cops give full faith and credence to Hawaii law, and permit you to drive around with whatever plates Hawii does or does not require.
I live in Hawai'i now. I heard that I can get Hawaii plates before I become a Hawai'i resident so long as the car is driven here.

A front license plate on a 99 3000GT looks stupid. There is no where to put it! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a plate on my 98 3kgt sl. It did look stupid though. It was a big ugly chunk of metal hanging off the car. I'm CA and all the new vettes aroung here have no front plate so.......... I took it off and haven't been stopped yet.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vr4me said:
If you buy the car you should get a temporary tag. That should last for at least 30 days.
You're right.. then I gotta get the NJ plates snail-mailed to me.

I still gotta find out if I really can get my car registered in Hawai'i before I am a resident. It'll save me a bundle on insurance.

·
Registered
434 Posts
really what can they say. If you drive you car in Hawaii it is not like you are going to take it to the mainland each weekend. When you are there you really are there. I don't think thta you will have a big problem on getting it registered there.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brody_martin said:
really what can they say. If you drive you car in Hawaii it is not like you are going to take it to the mainland each weekend. When you are there you really are there. I don't think thta you will have a big problem on getting it registered there.
Yup. Hawaii is great for car enthusiasts. Cops don't care about anything.

I see pickup trucks everyday with suspensions that rival monster trucks.

The mall parking lot sounds like the ricer indy 500.

·
That Others May Live
3,844 Posts
Andrew,
Your explanation sounds right, but i think theres provisions such as for those in the military. I am a Washington resident w/ WA tags but live and work in North Dakota. In ND, there laws are back-asswards; you have to have a front license plate but no back plate (sheesh, go figure; only in N.D. will you find laws so stupid). I've been pulled over in ND because i have a rear only (legal in WA, but not in ND).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I live in MA where they have some pretty [email protected]#$ed up laws. I guarantee you that if you put the front plate in your windshield they won't bother you. Just don't make an effort to get pulled over for something else (speeding) because that's when they give you a hard time. They usually wont bother you.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Look for a user DominickGT

He has a front plate on his car, doesnt look bad

I have been pulled over 3 times since I got my car for various reasons, mostly because cops sit outside the high schools in my area and do license checks. Once for speeding but I got out of it. I don't have a front plate on my car and nothing has happened yet.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
MA requires both front and back. You'll get pulled over for not having a front one.

Also, you are not supposed to get an aftermarket plate bracket that covers the state name on the top part of the plate. At least in MA.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I've been driving for the past two years with no front plate in Colorado (knock on wood) I'm still not sure what the laws here are, but the cops around the area don't seem to care whether it's there or not.

The only time I've ever been pulled over for anything related to license plates was when I was taking show cars down to the Denver Auto Show. We were heading back to the dealership I worked at in a van with 15 demo plates displayed in the windows. :DNo ticket.... just an "Only one, not 15"

·
Registered
32 Posts
No front tags in South Carolina. Great thing is we have no emissions here either, which means we can take out the cats here and not have to worry about emissions crap :D .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.