Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know about you all, but my shifter seems too long(like a damn truck). is there any way to cut it down and have it re-thread?
kcalvano92vr4

·
Dodge should sponsor me
2,014 Posts
ive been thinking about cutting 2 inches from the center and then welding it back togather. i dont see why this wouldnt work.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was just thinking about hacking a few off the top with a sawzall and then re-threading the top. don't know if it would work or not.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Pretty sure Motorhead did the cutting and welding trick, and it worked. I'd do it too, but I don't have welder access. What would happen to the shifter bag?

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
When I first bought my ES, someone had very crudely cut about 1.5" off of the shifter. They used a very cheesy aftermarket knob that had lock screws in the sides rather than threads. Other than the knob slipping off, I never had a problem with it. I've since replaced the cut shaft and knob with stock parts, but I don't see why you couldn't just cut it as necessary and then rethread it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I did cut about 2" off of my shifter. I used a chop saw and cut above the pivot point. Then welded it back together with a stick welder. I don't think chopping 2" off the top would work since the shaft is tapered and there is no way to get it in a lathe to take off the extra material.
Buschur racing shortens shifters for $75, I am not sure how they do it, but I would guess the same way as I did. Send me your shifter, I will do it for $50. :)

Later,

Kevin

H

·
0 Posts
YOU NEED A LATHE TO THREAD SOMETHING THAT BIG...HAVE SOME ONE DO IT...???

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts