Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear my new 97 VR4 is starting to feel slow. Is it me? Or is it just that I'm getting used to the power and NEED MORE!:D Any of you experience this? I mean it's still fast to me, but it doesn't seem as fast as when I first drove it off the lot 2.5 weeks ago.:confused: I also wondered if something might be wrong with it.:confused: OH well, it's prolly all mental.

I used to own a 93 Yamaha FZR 600 "crotch rocket" and when I first got I thought it was the fastest thing on the street. People had told me to start with a 750cc but I didn't want to. I could have due to my experience in motocross in my younger years, but just didn't...

Well, I'm starting to save now for the BPU. I don't like loans unless for a car or house, so I'll hold out til I get the cash.

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
I doubt there's anything wrong with it. My typical test would be to have a friend that occasionally rides with me get in my car. I'll have them tell me how it feels. Either that, or I'll race someone that I've raced often, time a 0-60 or something. Everytime, the result is the same. It always ends up being mental. Then I have to spend money on mods. :(

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I think you are getting use to it. Time for a boost controler :D

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
I'm the exact same way man! I've had my 97 VR-4 for a little over a month now and it doesn't have that same "holy shiz" type feel anymore when getting on it. But I'm sure the car is still fine and that I'm just used to it. I'm sure the same thing is happening with you.

Best way to remedy this is to get a Honda Civic CX/DX/HX and drive that around for about 2 weeks. Oh yes, the first 2 days will feel like crap, but 2 weeks should get you used to it. Then hop in your VR-4 and I'll gaurantee you will feel it's the fastest thing in the world without even getting on it. :D

·
4,613 Posts
You are just getting used to it before all the big mods.. ie when I ran the 13.1 before bpu I swore my car wasnt fast but by the reaction of passengers I am guessing otherwise... you are just used to it... plus you have the steering wheel and something to hold onto, makes a big difference.. let someone else drive and ride in the passenger seat you will know the difference!

·
Native
3,894 Posts
matt92vr4 said:
I think you are getting use to it. Time for a boost controler :D
THIS PLAYER HERE IS NOT JOKING!!!!!!

I GOT MINE IN AND I'M TELLING YOU, IT'S LIKE 'WHOA, WHO'S CAR DID I JUST GET IN CAUSE IT SURE AS HELL AIN'T MINE!!!!!'

on a lighter note, yeah, it happens, it's you.

Boostvalve.com MBC - $50

Gauge pod, goost gauge, install kit - $50

GO FOR IT!!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brainfood said:
You are just getting used to it before all the big mods.. ie when I ran the 13.1 before bpu I swore my car wasnt fast but by the reaction of passengers I am guessing otherwise... you are just used to it... plus you have the steering wheel and something to hold onto, makes a big difference.. let someone else drive and ride in the passenger seat you will know the difference!
yeah! i did.:D I let my dad drive it a couple days after I got it and I was in the passenger seat. Surprising he seemed to know how to launch it because I was like ":eek: " in the passenger seat and got that little "tickle" feeling in my stomach like you get when you first slam down that first BIG "gateway to the abyss" drop off on a rollar coaster!:D:D:eek: :D

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Are your orgasms the same as the first 1000 you had? NO. Same thing. You get used to it. So then you tweek the nips (put on a dsbc), then you try maybe an exhaust (i wont say it), then you try it while high (nitrous, or biggerturbos)...

Ride in the passenger seat while someone else is driving (cheating). It will help any relationship. Works for me.

Eventually if you work at it long enough you get it just right, and very intense. Soon after which time you prolly will die. Hopefully at 80 with your 18 y/o babysitter. :D

·
Dog Is My Co-Pilot
4,082 Posts
pokey said:
Are your orgasms the same as the first 1000 you had? NO. Same thing. You get used to it. So . . . then you try maybe an exhaust (i wont say it)
:eek:
pokey, pokey, pokey *shakes head*

:D

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
LOL! Try going back and forth between an 11 second 3/S and a stock one. Doing that makes my Stealth feel like a scary ass rocket ship :eek: and my VR-4 feel like it's only running 6psi. :eek: The VR-4's been to the track and it ran what it should so there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Eat strawberries
855 Posts
Think you feel slow? I just bought a 2001 Suzuki GSXR 1000. Now every car i sit in feels like it's got the pick-up of a school bus.

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
This is how my car grows in the pass 1yr and 4 months. The VR4 seems amazing fast compared that of my old SL when I first bought it. After 3months, upgraded to BPU (~400hp). Drove it for a year, get used to the power again. Last month upgraded to BPU++ (~600hp):D . Now the car feels insanely fast. Don't know how long does this feeling last, but it scares a few peoples when riding w/ me:) . One had a headache the other said I just ate so slow down. Overall, the mods aren't cheap, but it's worth it. Now I coud rule over my little town:D, and putting fear into peoples' eyes. Always represent my 3SI community well. By the way, just rebuilt my 91K transmission. The way drive therefore it had to go sometimes.

Black94VR4

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
the cheapest and easiest way to make it feel fast again, is have someone else drive, and you ride shotgun.

Seriously, you feel it more, you are ready for the power, you aren't holding onto the wheel, and have 1 foot planted on the floor holding you back in your seat. Try it

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fastrnyou said:
the cheapest and easiest way to make it feel fast again, is have someone else drive, and you ride shotgun.

Seriously, you feel it more, you are ready for the power, you aren't holding onto the wheel, and have 1 foot planted on the floor holding you back in your seat. Try it
hehe! I'll remember that! ;)

I just keep reminding myself that it's just "stock" also. That seems to help a bit. I think I get this feeling more when I'm at 3000-3500 RPM's and hammer it. It doesn't feel as fast when I do that as compared to hammering it at say 2000-2500RPM's. I guess it's that sudden "powerband" jolt that makes me think it's so powerful rather than already being in the powerband and hammering it.

I used to race motocross and my old Yamaha YZ80 had one hell of a powerband... It just hit all at once, kinda like the VR4, but only noticed, of course, if you are in the right RPM's when putting the metal to the pedal! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts