Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was wondering if its illegal to sell back ups of dreamcast,playstation and playstation 2 games..one of my friends wanted to know

·
Registered
338 Posts
Here is an example of what your friend needs to state if he plans to sell backups...

*******************SOFTWARE DISCLAIMER******************

I, under penalties of perjury solemnly agree with the following: My function is strictly to backup software which you claim to currently own in order to protect it from damage. These duplications are allowed under Copyright Law and you are entitled to this service by law (Section 117 of the U.S. Copyright Law). However, you must comply with the following conditions:

If you sell your original software then you will destroy the CD-R backup of that title.

If you obtain a title from me and you do not own the original title then you will destroy the CD-R backup.

If you imply piracy, then I cannot and will not legally serve you.

Do not inform me if you plan to use these CD-R backups illegally. By complying with these regulations, it allows me as a service provider to duplicate and you as a consumer to receive the right to use backups to protect your original software.

Limitations on Exclusive Rights

Computer Programs Not Withstanding the Provisions of Section117 of the U.S. Copyright Law:
It is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided:
That such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or
That such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful. Any exact copies prepared in accordance with the provisions of this section may be leased, sold, or otherwise transferred, along with the copy from which such copies were prepared, only as part of the lease, sale, or other transfer of all rights in the program.

·
Registered
281 Posts
maybe

You are basically saying that your friend can make copies of PS2 games and he sells them for $5-$10 each? What games can he make? Ill buy some as long as they work fine.

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
Um... soybeanz. Can you really just have an unsigned affidavit like that without it being notorized or anything? :D I wouldn't have thought so, but I know little about the legal system.

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
I may be interested in some dreamcast games -- you can email me titles (or pm me)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Me too! GEt me some titles to dreamcast games and ps2 games

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Just a friendly warning... Even with the little disclaimer, the moment your friend sells any of those backups, he has immediately commited a felony. Just be careful if you decide to do it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
selling it for a 1$ means u can get sued for 20k....take my word for it! If u do it...sell to just friends! I wouldnt post anything on the net...that is intent, and they can nail u for that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts