Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my ECU pulled out and ready to send to Turbo Bob over on the Grand National forums and opened it up hoping to see a bunch of leaking capacitors. instead i found a nice clean looking board with hot glue on it. Now my plan is still to have my ecu recapped unless im convinced otherwise or Turbo Bob says not to send it.

let me know what you think? hot glue normal? EA33BU? evidence of replacement caps?
20191203_180246.jpg
20191203_180246.jpg
20191203_180255.jpg 20191203_180309.jpg 20191203_180238.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
That entire upper board is an aftermarket add on... I would assume to make it a programmable EPROM unit. Someone here may recognize it, but I image Bob would know if anyone...

There any identifying tags on the case that might identify it?

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
That's some old school goodness right there.

You tune it by writing a new Eeprom chip, and installing it onto the board - was very popular back in the day with DSM's, eventually they moved to a setup where you could just re-write the ECU without having to remove and install new chips - Can't say I've seen either on a 3/S though, very cool.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So from lurking around on yahoo auctions Japan I have seen a couple of Z16A GTOs(like yours) with eeproms listed. So I'm going to guess it was a common mod back in the day for the Japanese market. If I had to guess your car was modified and just returned to stock minus this. Also the stock capacitors are brown in color, so yours have also been replaced.

·
One fix at a time
7,745 Posts
I’ve owned a few of those ecus that have those eprom boards added. Gatcrasher is the one to contact about it because I know Jeff has done some work with them. However, they’re very very limited compared to the Jester 98/99 flashed ecus so you are better off going that route. Yes you can do a little with them but it’s very cumbersome and not as easy to edit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts