Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, just wanted to know if installing ground control coilovers is the same as installing regular lowering springs like intrax. i know it wouldn't be exactly the same...what's different?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I think you're just interested in how the installation goes, not a comparision. I talked to Dave, xcelr8, when I did mine (great guy, great help). He told me that the Eibachs were similar in installation to the GC. So, I guess that means that the Intrax are too.

I'll PM him about this thread ;)

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
You'll always need a spring compressor - gotta get the stockers off. :) but you definitely won't need one for reassembly. The GC setup comes with Eibach springs, but they are a lot smaller and a lot stiffer (to make up for the smaller size. They will rest lose in the strut assembly when the car is lifted. The threading goes at the bottom. Steve had zip-tied his springs to the caps to keep them assembled better - takes car of any issues when setting the car back down. They'll line up pretty easily on the lower part without overlapping. I have a set of GC's from Steve's car I'llbe putting on mine to try to level out the front and rear - front rides a hair higher than the rear and I wanna lower the front to balance the ride height.

EricB

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Black_Sunshine said:
thanks eric. i was wondering, will i be able to get my car back into good alignment, or will it always be a little off?

My alignment was MASSIVELY off. I just went to a specialty alignment shop and they drilled out the camber bolt holes (in the rear) to allow more room for adjustment.
Everyone in this thread has given you true info.
You will need spring compressors to get the stock off.
Also check out JL forum for any tips on how to keep this system quiet. I guarantee you will be unprepared for the clunking that you are about to experience.
The Eibach springs do hang loose when you have the car jacked up. You can wire tie them up as stated here, but this is unnecessary. Every time you jack up the car, they just kinda hang freely. Do't be worried about this.
As you will not be using any of the stock rubber mounts/stoppers, you car is gonna sound pretty different.
Install is incredibly easy. If you want to PM me, I'll give you my cell and you can call if you have problems while you are installing.
Thanks Dan BTW for the kind words.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The clunking is permanent. It comes from when you hit a bump. You car separates a tiny bit from the spring and the spring clunks up against the top when the car rests again.
It's a tough trade off.
EVERY bump I hit, no matter how small, creates this really annoying noise.
I would very interested in someone eles take on this if anyone else wants to add anything.
Most everyone I've spoken to knows about it, they just live with it.
The Coilovers do not come with any rubber bumpers so you get noise.
Mine might a lot louder because I also use Cusco camber adjustment plates on the front. You do not need these, I just happen to have them. But I think they contribute to the noise quite a bit.
You will not get as low as you might like with Intrax, of course.

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
i made little rubber inserts to go between the collars and the springs out of an old inner tube and i have no annoying noises from my GCs at all....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.