Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, just a quick dumb question, if i take my spark plug cover off and leave it off for a couple of days is that bad? i dont see how it really could be, but i figured better safe than sorry :)
after all these polishing posts i really want to polish my spark plug cover, especially after seeing Dave Bests stuff :eek:

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
No problem

I left my spark plug cover off for a few weeks while I was breaking in my engine. Some people never re-install them.

Just make sure you blow the dirt out of your spark plug holes before changing the plugs.

P.S. Brutally obvious comment (please don't be insulted) You can not leave off the valve covers. Oil will go everywhere when the engine is running and dirt may get in the oil.

·
Boost Junkie
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what your saying is, i shouldnt have polsihed my valve cover while still driving my car to work everyday? :eek: :p

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
><i>Just make sure you blow the dirt out of your spark plug holes before changing the plugs.</i>

This would be excellent advice, except for one thing - your spark plug boots should already be sealing the hole, so it should be impossible for dirt to get in there.

But if, for some reason, your boots don't cover your hole, then do what he says.

·
Bored User
1992 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
1,146 Posts
John, it's still a good idea to take a good high psi air compressor and do that. Then it'd be some reassurance that there wouldn't be any crap in the sleeve to fall into the hole if and when you'd be changing your spark plugs next. :) Better safe than sorry, that's what I like to live by.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts