Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
mitsu lover
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into a discussion with a friend who believes that DSM's are not japanese and that they are actually american cars. (He did not use the term "american" but he didn't classify them as a japanese cars. Now I'm curious if anyone else out there has backwards ass thought's and also agrees that this is a non japanese vehicle.

My opinion:

Here is my opinion yes DSM's are made in the states. No mitsubishi is not a american company. Mitsubishi definitely had a very big role and part in creating all DSM's. I'm not 100% sure but I would bet 5 buxs that chrysler/dodge might of have a tad influence on DSM's. But that does not make it a non japanese car. Another scenario, as some of you may not know mitsubishi made a sister car called the "dodge stealth" only difference was slight cosmetics of the car. Everything else was identical. The 3000gt and Stealth were never made in the states and was always imported from japan. Because it is branded "dodge" does this make it a non mitsubishi and non japanese car? Would you classify this is mopar?

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I got into a discussion with a friend who believes that DSM's are not japanese and that they are actually american cars. (He did not use the term "american" but he didn't classify them as a japanese cars. Now I'm curious if anyone else out there has backwards ass thought's and also agrees that this is a non japanese vehicle.

My opinion:

Here is my opinion yes DSM's are made in the states. No mitsubishi is not a american company. Mitsubishi definitely had a very big role and part in creating all DSM's. I'm not 100% sure but I would bet 5 buxs that chrysler/dodge might of have a tad influence on DSM's. But that does not make it a non japanese car. Another scenario, as some of you may not know mitsubishi made a sister car called the "dodge stealth" only difference was slight cosmetics of the car. Everything else was identical. The 3000gt and Stealth were never made in the states and was always imported from japan. Because it is branded "dodge" does this make it a non mitsubishi and non japanese car? Would you classify this is mopar?
They are bi-racial and they have their green card:)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
IMO Where the company is located is where the car is from.

For example; there is a BMW plant in upstate SC. Although the cars are assembled there, I do not look at them as "American" cars. Same thing with American car brands, who assemble cars in Mexico, etc...

·
Ancient Spirit Of Evil
3,921 Posts
the stealth was a captive import, because they made a deal with Mitsubishi to sell a version of the platform that they thought would appeal to US clients since Mitsubishi was not known to most, and they wanted something in that segment to beat out the mustang, they succeeded for a while

the eclipse/talon/laser 1st gen was a pure DSM built car, a cheap coupe with a peppy 4 cyl engine that could be had in 2wd, 2wd turbo or awd turbo configurations, it was a market best seller for years and both Mitsubishi and Chrysler sold them by the truck loads, the second gen was easily the most popular car in America during the mid 90's, you couldn't go outside without seeing one, it was a winner, it was cheap, and if you wanted a turbo coupe with AWD you could have one for under 23k, the aftermarket was huge and you could easily modify a DSM to be a fire breathing Porsche killer with less money than 2 paychecks

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
704 Posts
I look at it this way: The 3000GT (GTO) and Stealth are both straight JDM. The are both built in Japan, using all Japanese parts. (Did they even make the Stealth plastics in the US?) They are not DSM's, and they are not part of the Diamond Star contract. JDM is the only classification I can see for them. (Obviously not built to JDM safety standards, but built in the Japanese Domestic Market).

DSM's are far more rough to classify. They were all built here in the States at a plant in Normal, Illinois. They weren't even available in Japan (they got the Evo I-V and Galant VR-4 instead), but the vast majority of parts come directly from Japan (1g in particular). I personally classify them as a Domestic, simply because most American cars aren't built with American parts/engines/drive-trains and we still call them Domestic. Hell, many aren't even built in America! The 2g's really drive that home with the introduction of the 420a; I remember reading that a 2g Talon base model actually used >80% American parts! Being built in the States, plus never being available in Japan just nails them as Domestic IMHO.

·
Abusing 3800lb scapegoat.
1,135 Posts
The Stealth really stirred up the pot when they used it as a pace car. With the dodge badge on it, it was technically classified as an American car, but we all know there is nothing american about a car that was built in Japan and had a Mitsubishi engine and chassis. It was the first import to be used as a pace car as such, has a special place in history.

A kinda kewl piece of info IMO.

·
Pro xfercase destroyer
5,423 Posts
The Stealth really stirred up the pot when they used it as a pace car. With the dodge badge on it, it was technically classified as an American car, but we all know there is nothing american about a car that was built in Japan and had a Mitsubishi engine and chassis. It was the first import to be used as a pace car as such, has a special place in history.

A kinda kewl piece of info IMO.
The Stealth pace car never actually paced an Indy race. It was replaced by a Viper prototype at the last minute.

·
1,135 Posts
It never paced the race, but was still the official pace car. It stirred the pot to such an extreme that they literally threw the viper together to pace just to keep race fans from freaking out. The winner of the race still got a Stealth and not a Viper which is not how it usually works. The pace car is always given as a prize.

In 1991, the Viper was NOT an official pace car it was a substitute.

On a side note, if Dodge did not have interest in Lambo (at the time) and the block from their Ram to use as a base for Lambo, we would have seen the Stealth pace the race.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Jdm, Japanese domestic market cars are right hand drive. The Honda civic with the fart can and big wing, that someones mom Bought at the dealer a few years back, usdm.
That concept doesnt apply here. Our cars were built in japan. Its like going into an orphanage in japan and picking kids going oh this ones japaneese and this one will be an american. We all still know that kid is japaneese. Just cause you teach the kid english and change his name doesnt change his race.

If i swapped the wheel to the right side would any of you even know it was originally a left hand drive? Probably not. Our cars arent a dsm. Hell you cant even make a dsm rhd.

Give a short white guy glasses and get him to pretend to speak asian like ching tong long etc etc people just get offended. But hell white people like it.

3s= asian
Dsm= short white dude pretending to be asian.

Reactions: Savage119

·
vice prez: TPW
8,092 Posts
It never paced the race, but was still the official pace car. It stirred the pot to such an extreme that they literally threw the viper together to pace just to keep race fans from freaking out. The winner of the race still got a Stealth and not a Viper which is not how it usually works. The pace car is always given as a prize.

In 1991, the Viper was NOT an official pace car it was a substitute.

On a side note, if Dodge did not have interest in Lambo (at the time) and the block from their Ram to use as a base for Lambo, we would have seen the Stealth pace the race.
You almost have all of the story. The Stealth still did pace the race, it did not however pace the parade laps. The Viper was not ready to be a safe race pace car, so the Stealths were still used during the race and the Viper was used for the parade laps.

-John

·
1,135 Posts
You almost have all of the story. The Stealth still did pace the race, it did not however pace the parade laps. The Viper was not ready to be a safe race pace car, so the Stealths were still used during the race and the Viper was used for the parade laps.

-John
The race was a couple years ago and I was pulling that info from memory. ;) For sure the Viper was not ready, but the race fans would have freaked had the viper not been involved.

Thanks for the info!

-KP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.