Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sawzall Master
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! been a while since I've posted on here since my 3S has been 'hibernating' per say (long story). I finally got her road worthy a few months ago and I've been dailying it since. Now I never drove the car too much before it went into hibernation and I'm used to very slow 80s cars but it just does not feel fast to me. My friend has a '17 GTI which is supposed to make 220hp and he absolutely walks me. The other day a first gen miata pulled up along me and it was close but he was definitely faster and his car definitely wasn't turbo'd. That was kinda the last straw because I'm really annoyed now lmao. My car does burn oil (though that may be due to me missing a PCV hose) and it seems like its been eating gas lately, what are we rated for for city driving? Other than pulling the intake manifold and checking for compression any thoughts as to what I should check? I have no CEL's on right now and the car drives fine, linear power no idle problems, just seems slow.

It will be getting a full VR4 conversion (AWD included) in a few months so I'm not too concerned about fixing this problem but I do want to know if there IS a problem or if they really are just slow lol.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Check your timing too. Once mechanic change my timing belt on my Stealth and it was off by few degrees and car did not go anywhere.... Maybe exhaust leak, or pressure leak on TB or manifold. Check also your handbrake. I had that problem too...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hard to say, Id say get it running right and then race again. I would expect a 17 gti to beat a non turbo 3000gt, A miata is a hard call since I dont know much about them but I would say its close, and perhaps since you dont think your car is running right that answers that. check timing and compression and go from there.

·
Sawzall Master
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooh timing is a really good idea I didnt think of that. Car was in a pretty hard accident, maybe it skipped a tooth. The idler pulley is also going bad but idk how much of of an effect on timing that would have other than it completely breaking and destroying my engine lol. Ill let you guys know if I find out what the problem is!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
VICS is probably stuck closed, probably needs a fresh tune up, ignition timing is probably off/not set correctly.

you also need to consider that a NA Miata weighs 2000-2100lbs on average, and a FWD 3/S weighs 3100-3400lbs on average without driver.

·
Sawzall Master
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VICS is probably stuck closed, probably needs a fresh tune up, ignition timing is probably off/not set correctly.

you also need to consider that a NA Miata weighs 2000-2100lbs on average, and a FWD 3/S weighs 3100-3400lbs on average without driver.
Hmmm I didn't think of the VIC, that's ECU operated right? Lately my tach reads really low at least until I have driven for 30+ minutes, it will slowly become more accurate. I never thought much of it but if the ECU is also receiving a low reading.... :unsure:

That's a really good idea, I'll have to check that this weekend. And yeah I know there is a big weight difference but there is also a big power difference too. Guess there's no replacement for weight reduction haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts