Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just called a local Mitsu dealer and they told me that the 60k service would cost $1195. Does that seam correct to you guys or maybe a bit High ... I am still in the precess of finding a mechanic in Austin that is good with VR4's.

How hard is it to do the 60k service by yourself ... and what all is required ... or do you need the coreect timing tools and what not ...

If anyone knows of a mechanic in Austin,Tx that has done the 60k service on your car or on someones car you know of ... will you please post who and where ...

Thanks alot guys!
-Austen

P.S. if it is practical to do the 60k service by yourself would someone please e-mail me some instructions. Only if you have the time ... thanks agian ...

< [email protected] >

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks alot

I will do that ... anyone else know anything

Do they make you show proof of your membership or something liek that ...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Umm are you sure

Are you sure that sunrise mitsubitshi is in Austin texas
i called that number and they were in Upstate newyork ... anyways ... anyone know of a local shop in Austin, Tx ...

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
If you order the parts you need from the Sunrise guys and ship them to Texas that will save you some cash.

Or get a list of the parts that have to be replaced, get a quote from sunrise, and see if your place in Texas will give you the same price. That will save you on shipping.

And trust me the discount Sunrise gives is worth the shipping cost.

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Mine was $1600......but that included a clutch kit, water pump, and ALL drive belts. But otherwise yes, that is about right.

·
Registered
466 Posts
you gotta be f*cking kidding me. i paid 700

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Mine is costing me around $4000
I droped a nut and couldnt find it. Found it in the timing belt later. Belt slipped, valves bent.
Pulled the heads, found a burnt piston. Re-building the whole engine. Got new turbos (13G) 450 injectors and still looking for a good deal on a s-afc.

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
brainfood said:
sounds about right... I charge about $400-$500 in labor depending on what you need done and it is about $300-$400 in parts.... so the dealer is only $300 or so more than I would charge..
You do this work for other people? Humm.. I may have to goto you for the 60K tune-up/timing belt change

·
4,613 Posts
yea I havnt yet but a couple people asked me.. so I came up with a quote... I have done it once on my car and will do it once more when I assemble the motor and maybe once more for my twin car :D same color and year in town... I dont mind doing it but will take me a day hopefully maybe 2 email me and we can talk about it.

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
$315 isn't that great of a deal. I can find them for $300 no problem. I'm looking for a bargain like $200 or mayby $250. Ill find it.

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
Paul H. said:
$315 isn't that great of a deal. I can find them for $300 no problem. I'm looking for a bargain like $200 or mayby $250. Ill find it.
If you know where to find them brand new for less then $315 SHARE, damnit.:D Hook me up:p

·
4,613 Posts
Mine is costing me around $4000
sounds like me I went to paint the timming belt covers and one of the rubber peices fell into the timming belt area and caused it to slip so I am getting heads rebuilt, 1mm oversized swirlback ss valves, stage 2 port and polish, 220/212 cams, high rev valve springs, titanium retainers, new lash adjusters (yes! no more tick tick), ross pistons w/ total seal classic race rings, polished and shotpeened rods, forged crank, clevite bearings, arp rod bolts... the works :D now all I need is fuel mods... too bad I am broke!

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
It might be helpful if each of us stopped comparing our apples with the oranges of others. It certainly must be confusing to Mr. Pnuemonic.

For such a wide range of prices, I can't believe that everybody here got the same work done and the same parts replaced for what we are all terming "60K". If you're going to throw out a dollar figure, at least break it down into individual parts and labour charges so that we can compare.

For a 1991 DOHC NA, here's mine:

-------------------------------------

$200.00 labour (dealer mechanic) to replace these timing belt related items:

$22.16 MD813600 belt, A/C
$12.18 MD185959 belt, P/S
$97.54 MD193874 belt, timing
$20.96 MD319022 pulley, timing belt idler
$22.26 MD140071 pulley, timing belt tensioner
$80.90 MD972005 pump, water
$46.00 MD318474 tensioner, alternator drive belt (dealer price, shop around)
$62.62 MD319040 tensioner, timing belt
$04.00 jug of Prestone

Total $568.62 parts & labour for timing belt change
--------------------------------------

Did my own spark plug change, labour was free:

$53.26 MD156560 spark plug cable set
$09.86 MS851336 each, 6 spark plugs, NGK PFR6J11
$06.00 MD143791 gasket, intake plenum
$01.60 MD180361 gasket, throttle body

Total $120.02 parts and labour for spark plug change
-------------------------------------

Did some 60K preventative maintenance myself, labour was free:

$14.54 MB605460 hose, lower radiator
$15.10 MB605459 hose, upper radiator
$09.64 MB660701 cap, radiator
$25.00 MD658136 filter, fuel
$02.00 MD311638 gasket, oil filler cap

Total $66.28 parts and labour for the miscellaneous crapola
------------------------------------

$754.92 Grand total for TSM recommended 60K stuff plus other stuff.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I've been quoted approx $1200 from atleast 3 different people for my 60K maintenance so that seems to be the avg price.
Remember, not everybody will use parts you bring to them for the 60K maintenance, so keep that in mind before you go ordering parts from a discount dealer only to turn around and not be able to use them. ;)

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
I (Milwaukee Mopar Motorsports) do it for $250-$300 plus the parts are around $350-$400 from a discount Mitsu dealer so $600-$700 or roughly half the dealer price. I have many satisfied customers in WI/IL.

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
Hey Pneumonic! I live in Round Rock (north of Austin) and I have to do my 60K soon. I was going to order all my pats from Hans. His kit is $500 or so and it includes everything including plugs and wires. I have never done a 60K before but I'll help you out if you help me out. Two heads are better than one right?

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
while youre in there do the oil pump as well.. more prev maintinence

1 - 20 of 27 Posts