Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

IROC W/ "GOT NOS?" Sticker

739 views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  Devil Child 
#1 ·
On the way home from work tonight I pull up next to a yellow IROC with a "GOT NOS?" sticker in back. I turn, he turns, I smile, he smiles, and its on. Problem is the light came before I expected it and startled me, so I didn't give enough gas, so she bogged pretty badly (I'm usually a pretty good launch, just crappy luck tonight). He actually gained about half a car on me with a very good launch on his part. After that, I blew by him like he was standing still, though. He shut down after I had 6-8 lengths or so and growing, and turned off before I could meet up with him after. I doubt he was really on the bottle, or if he was he wasn't juicing tonight. Shouldn't have beaten him THAT badly if he was.

I LOVE being reckless and irresponsible!!!

#2 ·
Good kill!

And, yeah you should have. The Irocs came with a big 170 hp :eek: and (255 ftlbs). You should have destroyed him - if he was running a 50 shot, still killed him, and taken him with 100 shot. It would probably take a 200 shot :eek: for him to keep up with a SS LS1 ~ 13.4s, which is right there with the 2Gs [with nice launch]. So good job, but if he wasn't spraying a I6 Jeep Grand Cherokee could put up a good race for him :D.

Hey- might it have been this guy:
http://mfile.akamai.com/5023/wma/philhend.download.akamai.com/5023/shows/01/07/philhend010702.asx

I love that, Irocs will never come back from that one.

#3 ·
Wow, no wonder I blew by him like that..... I didn't know but guesses the IROC's were at least in the 200's.............

Its not often that I get a real race, so I lov'em. Most times, I just sort of lay down the AWD bitch slap and people back off before we even reach the speed limit, trying to pretend they weren't really **racing**. :p

My favorite part was at the top of second, where I pulled right next to him, looked over, and mouthed the words "buh-bye."

#4 ·
#5 ·
there is a thread for that clip

#9 ·
"oh yeah, well i have tattoos, and im mean, grrrrrrr"
"BANG"

#10 · (Edited)
Re: Good kill!

Telionis-1 said:
And, yeah you should have. The Irocs came with a big 170 hp :eek: and (255 ftlbs). You should have destroyed him - if he was running a 50 shot, still killed him, and taken him with 100 shot. It would probably take a 200 shot :eek: for him to keep up with a SS LS1 ~ 13.4s, which is right there with the 2Gs [with nice launch]. So good job, but if he wasn't spraying a I6 Jeep Grand Cherokee could put up a good race for him :D.

Hey- might it have been this guy:
http://mfile.akamai.com/5023/wma/philhend.download.akamai.com/5023/shows/01/07/philhend010702.asx

I love that, Irocs will never come back from that one.
What the hell are you smoking? As a former iroc owner, I can tell you that you need to check your numbers.

The 1988 IROC-Z 5.7L TPI was an L98 corvette engine (except it was a 2-bolt main, not 4 like the vette) and put out 245 hp and 340 ft/lbs of torque STOCK. In stock form my iroc ran a 14.2, and by the time she was stolen I had her at a 12.8.

I'll tell you now, a 5.7l tpi IROC with very basic mods (intake, exhaust, chip, pulleys, shift kit, and gears ~$1200) runs with a stock vr-4 any day, at a fraction of the cost (cheaper car, cheaper mods). Don't let the auto tranny fool you (all of the 5.7L irocs were autos), that 700R4 with a shift kit will shift faster than YOU CAN and bark the tires in 2nd AND 3rd.

Add a blower or nitrous (perfect for it, fairly low compression 350ci v8) and all you will see is tail-lights.

#11 ·
I think that night I think it was Kahlua that I was drinking. However, it seems that Wrigley's Extra peppermint has the same effect because it STILL looks like it says 170 hp.

The 350 ci TPI? Ok maybe that is different, but the guy said he had an Iroc Z. Wanna see...

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Engines/Chevrolet/Camaro/1988.asp

I guess I'm still fucked up from uhh, last Tuesday... :rolleyes: Never got that fucked up before, I better stay away from the dreaded two glasses of whole 50 proof coffee.

I never meant to trash the car - if that is how it came across - just the guy [and I still think nobody who heard that will ever look at Irocs the same again].

AS for the 14.2 stock - you ran 14.2 stock, STOCK, in an auto... Sorry dude, hate being an asshole, but do you ever rev to 6000 when the cops pull you over? Seriously now, I would be as likely to believe that guy [if he were real] really did get head in the car tl|ebelieve you ran 14.2 stock in an auto IROC. No offence, but a 14.2 would be a damn good run in an manual- 275 horse LT1 z28. A DAMN good run, come on even the LS1s need an experienced driver and good launch to break the 13.8s. With 80 hp more than your car with six speed. I'd be surprised to see an auto LS1 z28 break 13.9 - and you ran 14.2s. I'm afraid, I just DON'T BELIEVE!

As for mods, come on that is idiotic, you could buy a 5.0 and do even better with cheaper mods, or a Supra - mods changes EVERYTHING. I'd be very very VERY surprised if the 170 hp Iroc can run 15s. It would defy its own power/weight ratio - the 240 hp - auto version, high 14s at best in my view, no 14.2 with auto. No freaking way dude. My 1g TT runs 13.2s stock :rolleyes:, really I have the slips to prove it, what? NO! I wasn't running a boostvalve bleeder on that run… ;) honest.

Besides the 305 ci 1986 Iroc must have been crappier than L98 version, so I'd say 16s with good driving ~ and out run a cop GT or z28, no way in hell. Especially if "90 is moving" for him!

#13 · (Edited)
Carpoint is wrong. Those specs are for the 305CI Throttle Body Injected (TBI) V-8 motor that was never offered in an IROC in any significant quantities. Look at the bottom of your screenshot at the "Fuel System." There is a 305ci Tuned Port Injected (TPI) engines in the IROCs that pushed 190-230HP and 285-300 lb ft of torque. That's the "base" engine for the IROC's.

I had a 5-Speed TBI 305ci equipped 92' Camaro RS. Not very fast. 350 TPI 86-92 Z-28/Firebirds run 14's.

#14 ·
Trevor said:
Carpoint is wrong. Those specs are for the 305CI Throttle Body Injected (TBI) V-8 motor that was never offered in an IROC in any significant quantities. Look at the bottom of your screenshot at the "Fuel System." There is a 305ci Tuned Port Injected (TPI) engines in the IROCs that pushed 190-230HP and 285-300 lb ft of torque. That's the "base" engine for the IROC's.

I had a 5-Speed TBI 305ci equipped 92' Camaro RS. Not very fast. 350 TPI 86-92 Z-28/Firebirds run 14's.
Exactly, the one listed is the 5.0L TBI POS, and does not represent the majority of the IROCs on the road. Your average late 80s IROC was the 5.7L Tuned Port Injected L98, as I said, and believe me it put out 245hp and WELL over 300 ft/lbs of torque, bone stock. As for the auto tranny, the TH700R4 is the same tranny as the vettes of the same era. Same engine, same tranny. In fact, its the same car, with some additional weight. Still don't think it could run 14s? When the whole thing was stock, I could chirp the tires in second, and yes, thats the AUTO. With the shift kit and my mods, I could spin them with ease into second and chirp them in 3rd. Ever seen an auto do a burnout, shift to second, and still be pouring smoke out from the wheels? Believe it. You may think the car is pretty white-trash (and the guy on the recording is a fucking dimwit), and hell, part of me does too, but the 5.7L IROC was a pretty fast car, and with the auto tranny, it didn't matter if the driver was john force or your grandma, just put your foot in it.

And just as a side note, with all the mods and racing, even when it was at 150k miles, it never once had a mechanical failure. Some sensor/ecu probs, but never blew on me, which is more than I can say for my 91 RT/TT that blew its goddamn motor 2 days ago.

#15 ·
IROC

I used to own an '88 IROC-Z 350, and let me tell you, I NEVER lost at the light with it. They're brutish, they're sometimes not too good on the handling, but they have more torque than just about anything, especially for their age. Carpoint doesn't list the 350 for whatever reason, but if you check any of the IROC-Z websites, you can find the stats on them, and see what they do in the quarter.

#16 ·
IROC

I used to own an '88 IROC-Z 350, and let me tell you, I NEVER lost at the light with it. They're brutish, they're sometimes not too good on the handling, but they have more torque than just about anything, especially for their age. Carpoint doesn't list the 350 for whatever reason, but if you check any of the IROC-Z websites, you can find the stats on them, and see what they do in the quarter.

#17 ·
Re: IROC

Devil Child said:
you can say that again! Oh, wait, you already did, heh. (reference to the same post twice on this thread, in case he fixes it later and makes me look like the dumbass!:D )

Yeap, talk all the shit you want about the drivers, the handling, the frame stiffness (cars aren't supposed to twist like that??? heh) or call me a former Irish Retard Out Crusing, but the stupid things are faster than you want to believe with the 350 and the long-runner tuned port injection pumping all that low-end torque.

#18 ·
Heh, sorry about the double post, I've never used this forum code before and had issues hitting back, and I have no idea how to delete it... :( In any case, glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates the power. :) For the record, I don't actually own a 3S, it just happens to be my dream car, and I'm a poor college student... :(

#19 ·
Telionis-1 said:
I think that night I think it was Kahlua that I was drinking. However, it seems that Wrigley's Extra peppermint has the same effect because it STILL looks like it says 170 hp.

The 350 ci TPI? Ok maybe that is different, but the guy said he had an Iroc Z. Wanna see...

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Engines/Chevrolet/Camaro/1988.asp

GREAT REPRESENTATION...LMAO:D

#20 ·
Hehe

Nobody noticed the "hotbar is gay" in the hotbar search box? :D

Hey - I guess I got crappy info on the Irocs, my mistake. I always liked f-bodies, just not really the Irocs [too boxy for me], but I'm glad the 5.7 didn't disappoint; I was sure they put out more than 170 hp.

I still think chain-steering wheel guy is a funny as hell act.

#21 ·
Carpoint

This is one of those times when relying on Carpoint as your sole source of information makes you look rather stupid. Yes, Carpoint still doesn't list the IROC as beign available with a 350. No, this really doesn't mean the IROC lacked a 350. If you look at a place that actually knows IROCs, like oh, say http://www.iroc-z.com/1988pages/1988factsandfigures.htm#Available Engines in 1988, you'll see the 350 does indeed exist on an IROC, and is no slouch.

#22 · (Edited)
Not quite

Unlike supercars.net [idiots], Carpoint is rather meticulous. I must have quoted their numbers at least 300 times, and this is the first time there was any concern. They are quite accurate.

In fact, I don't believe there was such a big mistake either ~ I suggested the Iroc came with 5.0L 170 hp engine, which it DID! uisce_beatha suggested otherwise, mentioning the Iroc-Z came with 350 ci. :) The IrocZ did indeed come with a 230 hp [wow! no offence] 350 ci, but there was a 5.0L avaliable also, and the guy on the radio clip didn't say Iroc-Z he said '86 Iroc Camaro. And btw, did they even HAVE Iroc-Zs in 1986?

Considering he bragged about mud-flaps, I'd assume he would have mentioned having the TOP of the line model. So, I'm don't think I came across as stupid period.

#23 ·
Damn!

Ok I did make a mistake, I said that he said he had an Iroc Z... which he did not. His so called super-sweet vintage 1986 Camaro was just an Iroc. And yeah, looks like Carpoint did fuck up ~ but by luck I didn't :D.

#24 ·
Yes, you're right, there WERE IROCs that only had 305. However, everyone seemed to be saying that meant all IROCs had that weak engine, just like acting like none of the 3Ss had turbos. Yes, Carpoint is generally accurate, but this is one mistake they made.

Just for further clarification, IROCs were available '85-'90. '85-'87, they were an extention of the Z28. '88-'90, they were their own trim, replacing the Z28 as the top Camaro. And while some IROCs had the 5.0, there was a MUCH greater proportion made with the 350 than the proportion of twin turbo 3Ss. Not trying to start a flame war, hell I love the Stealths, I just want the people here to not be ignorant about other cars, unlike that j-body forum that was linked to.

#25 ·
hehe

You saw the j-body post. Haha, that was pretty funny, and not to mention entirly our fault. What did we expect when one of ours went over popped onto a thread about turbos and suggested "getting a car that actually could be fast when upgraded." hehe. :D

That was idiotic of him ~ why do we always argue with cars that are no where near our class. Last big flame war was with the Maxima guys, now the j-body guys, not to mention our friendly Integra guys. Only serious flame war was with the Vettes. Brand loyalty is so idiotic.

As for not trying to start a flame ~ what are you talking about? There is a higher percentage of 350 Irocs than VR4 3000gts... wow, doesn't bother me; I've got the 2nd most common TT 3S out there and there still are only 3400 of them. :)

#26 ·
Hey give Telonis a break. His source had some incomplete numbers and he quoted them. It's not his fault.

There are so many different packages of IROC its not funny. Some were no better than RS's (IROC TBI's had trouble making mid 16's) others could run deep 14's (I've seen this at the track). Regardless if you see an IROC, as with most big american V8's you just don't know. I think everyone realizes and respects that.

Take it easy guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.