Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was originally from ClubRSX where I am a moderator and some of you fellas dropped in.. I had just said I was getting the following mods installed shortly:

Blitz digi controller
Blitz timer
K Struts
Intrax Springs
60k tuneup
red accel wires
type s bov

RealityCheck said:
Don't forget to get a good aftermarket boost gauge - preferably a peak-hold gauge. Don't trust the stock gauge or the reading on the boost controller when messing with higher boost levels.

14lbs of boost is a good, safe number. Besides the fuel system issues, you stand the chance of blowing off the stock Y-pipe at the 15lbs+ level. Also, the tiny stock turbos won't hold above 1 bar of boost consistently anyway.

You may want to consider going 1 step beyond the standard 60K tuneup. Since you're replace the timing belt anyway, you should do the water pump and the various timing belt and accessory belt tensioner/idler pulleys. Cheap insurance against catastrophic failure. I got a fairly comprehensive kit from a mail order Mitsubishi dealer (It was either Tallahassee Mistsubish in Florida or North County (Norco) Mitsu in Cali) that contained all of the required 0-rings, gaskets and stuff.
AND

6g72TwinTurbo said:
Camber will be a problem as well, these bars will eliminate the camber problem after installing springs.

No sense in wearing your tires too much.

www.3sxperformance.com

take a look under suspension, you'll find em. Explains how they work, and why they are needed.

Ok.. let's see.. I knew about the belts, pump, etc.. that is included in the 60k service i intended to perform.

As for the gauge do you think that is really necessary for 14psi? I am only sweating this because the mod money is finite going into this initial performance/suspension round..

I have been to 3sx many times, but had no idea the drop from the intrax would be bad enough to necessitate new arms!! Man.. I'm not sure what to do at this point.. If the arms are needed I will have to sacrifice the BOV or something, but damn it the stock one sucks ass so far as both sound and pressure hold/release.. :(

Talk to me 3s, people! I need some advice especially from people with Intrax!

Thanks so much,

Az

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the reply that was missed. I would still like to hear more opinions! =) Thank you guys.

6g72TwinTurbo said:
The control arms will definately save you some headaches down the road. Some people had excessive tire wear due to the camber springs create. Not a must, but it is if you want it done right!

Your boost controller will have a gauge built in, but like Reality said, its hard to watch/see on the move. It's far better than the stock POS, that's for sure.

You can axe the Turbo Timer, and spend that money elsewhere. Just wait in the car with it on a extra minute before your going to shut it off. Nothing wrong with sitting in a beautiful VR4 an extra minute!
the timer is a nice feature, but it is something you can do yourself for free.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[email protected] Factor.NET said:
Ian, any aftermarket lowering springs will make the camber a little harder to get into specs on our cars, however it can be done. YOU CAN get you car within recommend specs with intrax springs. They wont be perfect but it can be done and it will be within the recommend specs if you take it to someone that half ass knows what the hell they are doing.

As for his 60K service. We are doing his 60K service and of course as a 3/S Tuner, we are doing it the right way :) Timing Belt, Timing belt Tensioner, Tensioner Pulley, Idler pulley, Fuel pump, plugs, wires, oil change, water pump and P/S and A/C belts. The only thing we are not doing is the Oil pump and with only 60 some thousand miles it doesn't need to be done.

As for the boost gauge, the turbo timer you are getting has a boost gauge feature within it Ian, as does the Type R BC. However, I do strongly recommend a aftermarket boost gauge and I told you that before. I also recommend an EGT gauge to help monitor your a/f mixture. A/F gauges are good if they actually give voltage readings but I would much rahter have an EGT gauge to give you teh actual EGT temps insteads. There is no mistaken an EGT temp. I personally run and FULLY recommend the Defi Gauges. The US versions are in standard mathmatics vs metric so the EGT will read in degrees F, and the boost will read in PSI not mmHg. Their a/f gauge also give actual 02 voltage readings as well. The Defi gauges are made by the same company, Nippon, that makes GReddy gauges, but only Defi gauges are cheaper, but just as nice.

The 3SX control arms are nice, but not really necassary. There are many members on 3si running intrax without them and also without problems, such as myself. ANd I have had my intrax for over 2 years, had an alignment done once and the only reason I go through tires is because my car is a hybrid FWD TT 3/S that spins tires through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.

Let me know if you need any help Ian! You know I got your back and wouldn't knowingly recommend anything for your car that will damage it, especially since I am the one doing all the work and installing everything :)

Ty
Speed Factor
Ty,

Sup bro.. Thanks for dropping in, and welcome to ClubRSX! I feel better hearing about the Intrax situation.. but what do you mean by "YOU CAN get you car within recommend specs with intrax springs." ... I thought springs just go in, no real adjustment.. it sounds like you are saying there is a special way?

As for the gauges.. what sort of cost am I looking at? For EGT? A/F? You know all about the money, etc as we've talked 41324123412354623469234985 times so far! I guess a pillar pod setup would not cost much, but the gauges I am clueless on and have not been in the game long enough to know where to look.

I love hearing advice.. thanks guys

Az

·
Registered
153 Posts
The springs lower the car.... in the process they bring the lower control arm closer to the car, and also give you less suspension travel......

By doing this, you have changed the geometry of the suspension and must go spend the $$$ for a 4 wheel alignment (approx. $80 here at my tire and susp. shop to bring the camber back to an acceptable level.

Check Jeff Lucius's site for more info, but with too much negative camber (i.e. civic's that hack their springs, and the tops of their tires are noticeably further into the fenderwell than the bottom) you will wear the shit out of your tires in no time flat....

SO, what does that mean.... you must get the camber and/or sometimes toe into check.... this is not always possible, you run out of thread on the control arms, because the stock system was never designed to be adjusted to compensate for that much difference (the 1.75 inch drop makes a HUGE difference in the geometry). This is where 3sx comes into the picture, their's has much more thread and allows the system to be adjusted more, to the point you can get the alignment back to acceptable.

I'm trying to let you know as much as possible without going on forever, I know I'm probably rambling, it's late. If that made sense to anybody, or if you have specific questions... then holla back.

Joe:dodge:Stealth

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well basically my question still wasn't answered.. =) I understand the issue, but what I don't understand is:

Do *I* need it with these springs? Will the camber be so badly altered? Are the stock arms so unable to compensate for the Intrax springs?

I didn't mean that to sounds antagnostic! I just read it and it seems like it. My bad!!

Az

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: youll need

VR-4Maniac said:
you'll need to get your car aligned if you install the springs, unless you want to buy tires every 10k miles
The alignment doesn't bother me, that's like peanuts.

..do I need the new super-adjustable arms that badly though?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I dont give the tires 10k no matter what with out the 3sx arms. I suppose you could quadruple rotate and swap your tires so you can wear out all the edges on all the tires....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
no

"do I need the new super-adjustable arms that badly though?"

no you don't ....i have intrax springs and the car is doing great. deffinately need the allignment though

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Record9ti said:
I dont give the tires 10k no matter what with out the 3sx arms. I suppose you could quadruple rotate and swap your tires so you can wear out all the edges on all the tires....:rolleyes:
You have got to be kidding me. How could you sit there and even say something that ridiculous? When did the 3SX control arms come out? Not even a year now, right? Well how many people have been running their 3S's with Intrax's on them for MULTIPE years? Including myself, which I have had mine for at least 2 years now, I would say probalby 70% of the 3S owners on 3SI are using Intraxs and if they were causing owners to only get 10,000 miles out of a set of tires you could bet the farm that this forum would have ripped them a new asshole LONG AGO!!!!!! Do teh 3SX control arms work? YES! Are they good to have and make your alighnment easier and more precise? YES! Can you get your alignment within OEM specs without them? YES! Are they necassary? NO! And please dont mistaken this as a bash of the 3SX control arms because they are great product, but they are not absolutely a must have to get your alignment into recommended specs with the intrax lowering springs.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Record9ti said:
You have got to be kidding me. How could you sit there and even say something that ridiculous? When did the 3SX control arms come out? Not even a year now, right? Well how many people have been running their 3S's with Intrax's on them for MULTIPE years? Including myself, which I have had mine for at least 2 years now, I would say probalby 70% of the 3S owners on 3SI are using Intraxs and if they were causing owners to only get 10,000 miles out of a set of tires you could bet the farm that this forum would have ripped them a new asshole LONG AGO!!!!!! Do teh 3SX control arms work? YES! Are they good to have and make your alighnment easier and more precise? YES! Can you get your alignment within OEM specs without them? YES! Are they necassary? NO! And please dont mistaken this as a bash of the 3SX control arms because they are great product, but they are not absolutely a must have to get your alignment into recommended specs with the intrax lowering springs.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greedy_Bones said:
Greedy Bones = My hero! =)

That is good to know. Now nobody gotsta die!

Az

1 - 12 of 12 Posts