Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed my intrax last night and I have to say it really wasn't that hard. Having two people really helped. I only ran into a few snags. Here is a list of things you may want to consider if you are planning to do an install yourself. Remember I'm no expert and these are just things that I experienced.

1. Make sure you line up the coils with the top of the front struts. You'll know what I'm talking about when you pull the top part off and see the impression on the rubber from the old spring. If you don't put it back together with the top part lined up correctly the strut will bind and make a clunking noise when you turn the wheel.

2. This might be a no brainer, but make sure you have a vise you can put the top of the rear shocks into so you can unbolt the top part.. For anyone who has done this will know what I'm talking about. I think most any bench mounted vise will work.

3. One of my rear shocks did not want to come off of the bottom mount (it was rusted on). What I did to get it off was tied a rope on to the bottom and had my friend pull from the other side of the car while I push from the opposite side. I know really getto! But it worked.

4. Other than that it went pretty well. Took about 3-4 hrs. The ride quality was a lot better that I anticipated. I've read posts where people said that their Intrax springs made for a harsh ride. Well I guess that's all up to interpitation. On the freeway I couldn't even tell until I hit a hard bump. And even that wasn't that bad. Over all the handling went up more that the ride quality went down.

·
Registered
636 Posts
An impact wrench would have help a lot. Me and my friend replaced my springs and shocks under 1 1/2 hour. It was our first time too.

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Here's a tip:

Loosen the top bolts on all the shocks while they're still mounted on the car.. that way you don't have to hassle with trying to loosen them with the shocks off. :) Just don't take the nuts off all the way!

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
FYI - your sig list the mod as Intax instead of Intrax;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
it took me and my dad 2 1/2 hours total to do the 4 springs and new front KYBs :) its looks and rides goooooooooooooood :) Pics soon

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Quick. I hate proof reading. I did try to loosen the top of the rear shocks when they were on the car, but they still turned with the bolt. An impact wrench would be awsome. I'm waiting untill I move into a place with a grage to get my air tools.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts