Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interestingly, the thing that caught my eye was the fact that the entire rear body (bumper cover, lighting, spoiler, etc) as well as the side skirts were in 3000gt form. It had factory look fit and finish.

I don't know, maybe the owner did the conversion. It is interesting to note that there have been runmors of Stealth/3000gt factory hybrids, I was merely pointing out that this may in fact be one. I'll keep an eye out for him/her in the future to get to the bottom of this!

(BTW, in my humble opinion, 3000gt body work just doesn't seem to fit well with the c-pillar the Stealth has...)

------------------
Dan J.
94 Stealth TT, K/N FIPK, Greddy Exhaust, Greddy Type S BOV, GTPro Y-Pipe, Centerforce DF clutch, Magnecor KVR 8.5mm's

·
Registered
653 Posts
Dan,

So you are saying it had the Stealth nose, badges, wheels, and c-pillar but 3000GT rear end and side peices? That IS weird. That would be tough to do at home because the tail lights for the R/T and the 3KGT are VERY different which causes the need for 3KGT quarter panels.

Just curious - Was it a TT?

------------------
Black 91 Stealth Twin Turbo - Akimoto intake, Hallman boost controller, "modified" pre-cats (hehe), ATR downpipe, ATR cat-back, 15G turbos, New-style Apex'i Super AFC, 450cc injectors, Magnecore wires, plugs @ .034, EGR blockoff, 1G DSM BOV, 1G DSM shifter, 1G DSM stereo/CD player, Firestone SZ-50 tires
Best ET 12.82 @ 108.5

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I saw what appeared to be a 3000gt last night...Only it had Dodge Stealth wheels/lettering!

I've heard rumors that there were some Stealths w/ active aero, etc, maybe this was one of those "one-offs". The car was a first gen, black, had the c-pillar of a stealth, but the rear body of a 3000gt, including spoiler. The side skirts were also of the Mitsu variety. Unfortunately, I could not locate the owner. I'll keep an eye out for it in the future!

(Real strange appearance...Especially to us Dodge Stealth fans!)

------------------
Dan J.
94 Stealth TT, K/N FIPK, Greddy Exhaust, Greddy Type S BOV, GTPro Y-Pipe, Centerforce DF clutch

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
When Isuzu shared the Rodeo body style with Honda (Passport) they sold something like 25,000 Rodeo's to Honda. Honda then took the Isuzu/Rodeo badging off and slapped on the Passport badge. Maybe the same thing happened here?

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
I have a 91ES Stealth with the 1st gen Mitsu spoiler on the rear. When I bought the car I could not see the taco on the back and drove down to the dealer in Stockton Ca and told them I wanted the Mitsu spoiler and they ordered it and put it on for me. I love the whole look of my car except the wing and thats why I opted to go with Mitsu's. This car you saw, may have been one where he did the same thing.
Teddy 91ES

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. All Dodge badging, front end (I think, it may have had front aero), c-pillar and all. Even the rims were stock TT rims. The rear body/lighting was precisely the reason why I thought it was a factory hybrid. There would be just too much labor involved to convert the rear end of a stealth to 3000gt specs...

It was a Turbo, by the way...

------------------
Dan J.
94 Stealth TT, K/N FIPK, Greddy Exhaust, Greddy Type S BOV, GTPro Y-Pipe, Centerforce DF clutch, Magnecor KVR 8.5mm's

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
very easy conversion... the rear 1/4 "caps" can be changed with the lights and bumper.. wahla, instant 3000gt rear end. the side skirts bolt right on too..

·
Registered
500 Posts
the base and ES stealths already have a back end very similar to a 3000gt. The only differences that come to mind now are the black band underneath the tail light that says stealth on it, and there is none of that "ribbed" stuff by the license plate.

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you parked a Stealth next to a 3000gt, you'd see the Stealth has a smooth roof arch that starts from the windshield (a-pillar), over the side windows and quarter glass, and continues to the rear of the car, (c-pillar). The 3000gt "line" ends at the backside of the roof, and drops down, kind of bisecting the rear quarter glass. Thus, two different "c-pillars".

Though the base and ES models of the Stealth more closely resemble the 3000gt body in the rear, the RT/Turbo body styles are a little different.

It would seem to me that if anyone wanted to change a Stealth into a 3000gt, the cost/effort of obtaining side skirts, and essentially everything behind the gas cap, it becomes a pretty expensive/time consuming proposition...Kind of makes you think they should've bought the GT in the first place! In other words, I'm still pretty sure this was a factory job...

------------------
Dan J.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts