Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a rather simple question, and it's almost embarrassing to have to ask, but can you run twin turbos into a single, large intercooler? Which is better: twin intercoolers or a large intercooler? I would like a suggestion on what
intercooler(s) to buy, if anyone has an opinion. As it is, at idle, I run up to the H on my temp guage, and I fear that detonation will ensue. If this isn't an intercooler problem, please point me in the right direction. Thanks

Billy.

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
yes

You can run a set of twins through a single front mount intercooler. However, there is no reason to do so unless you want to make 700+ bhp.

If you upgrade your turbos get the dynamic racing side-mount intercoolers, otherwise a set of used dsm cores would be more than enough.

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
your car

if your car is overheating (going to the H), you probably need a new thermostat...has nothing to do with the intercooler. when your car is on and hot...approaching the H, see if your fans turn on...if not, you need a new thermostat most likely.

as for the intercooler...the statement about the Front mount isnt necessarily correct, because you can run a smaller front mount intercooler (with roughly the same surface area as two of our side mounts and get the same result. however, if the surface area is the same, two intercoolers are more efficient because the system is more precise. it all depends on the turbos you are running. matt monett has proven that the stock side mounts are good for the 600HP range...possibly more, but with turbos larger than 15Gs, or DR650Rs, or anything else comparable, most people opt for a front mount. most of the front mount intercoolers offered have great flow ratings and low pressure drops. peace

chris

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
actually

My car has no problem with heating. But there is no denying the front-mount obstructs flow to the radiator. Every front-mount car I've seen at a closed circuit took this into account and formally addressed the cooling issue.

For a 3S with 17gs or smaller turbo I'd say there is no substancial benefit from the front-mount to offset the disadvantage of having to address the cooling system. Unless you'll never see a closed circuit road course - in which case, a front-mount is fine if you've got 15g or larger turbos.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I'm getting this correctly, the stock intercoolers are good for 15G turbo upgrade? I was under the impression that if I got bigger turbos, I would have to get bigger/better intercoolers as well. If this isn't true, what about pistons and rods? Would 15G turbos require an upgrade to forged rods and pistons? What other mods might be necessary to perform the turbo upgrade? thanks.

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
mods

yeah stock intercoolers are fine for 15G turbos. you could upgrade to dynamic racing, alamo, or hks side mounts at most if you felt the need to, but you dont need to. And telionis is right...some people (although personally i havent heard of many...most out west where its hot) have cooling issues and need better radiators because the front mount blocks the radiator. to run anything bigger than a 17G, you might want to look into a front mount, although as previously stated, it is possible to run side mounts...just not stock ones.

to run ANY kind of different (not stock 9b) turbo, you need some kind of air/fuel management. to run BIGGER turbos, you need bigger injectors as well (in most cases). boost must be kept down on stock internals (pistons and rods). you do not NEED to run upgraded internals for 15G turbos, let alone any turbo as long as the boost is low enough. if you want to run higher boost, the forged pistons and rods are something youd wanna look at

chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts