Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only ask because the intercoolers look like they are excellent quality and efficiency (in terms of fin surface area etc.) and I can get them for a limited time real cheap.

The specifics, they are built for the Ford Powerstroke diesel and measure 30" x 18" x 2" with 2 3/4" inlet and outlet (ID). The 18" dimension could easily be shortened to 12" or whatever appropriate. I measured 32 1/2" between the closest points on the front bumper supports (if you removed the front bumper but left the supports, it would fit).

Here is a pic of the intercooler (brand new, never used).

Anybody know who makes the cores for the Ford Powerstroke? The only name I could find on it was Valeo but I'm sure they just assemble the intercoolers.

Again, I wouldn't even bother asking, but they look impressive from the outside and I can purchase one or more unused intercoolers at a very cheap price.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If it says Valeo on the outside of it, then Valeo is the manufacturer. They made some radiators for the company I work for. They were trying to get into the mass transit business, but the radiators weren't really made for heavy duty application, so we didn't buy their product. I didn't get a chance to see any of their intercoolers, but the radiators looked pretty good. As far as the intercooler goes, you should call Ford and see if you can get some specs on it. Also try to find out how much boost the Ford diesels are running. I know that some of the Dodge diesels are running close to 30psi, so if Ford is also, it should be a pretty decent intercooler. How much does it weigh? I have 3 or 4 intercoolers that measure 34.5 x 22.5 x 3. They are heavy duty units. MJB440 is running one with his 368 turbo's and I'm not sure if Shadowfax has installed his, but he has one also. I cut them down to 12-13 inches so they'll fit nicely and believe it or not, I test fitted the first one in my car with the crash bar still installed. Good luck

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
I think that Shadowfax had a post about this a while back, but I'm not sure if anything came of it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you are planning to make your own intercooler, then don't get that one.

Go to the Heavyduty truck mechanic or so, and find one from there and make one, it is normally cheaper and thicker(than the powerstroke one) it is good quality, but the one from big trucks are better.

I have a thred long long time ago.
wait, I will find it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
nice job!

ajimbo,
Were should I go to get the set up you have now, a heavy duty truck mechanic? Hmmm, im not sure ill be able to find one of those aroundhere. Anywhere else? What size intercooler should I be looking for? you had yours cut in half, them the top was welded shut,then tanks were put on? I am really interested and NEED more details. What size is the final product? Its poeple like you that keep the 3si communitys progress in a fowward motion!
Thanks alot,
Brandon
If you dont want to post my E-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
399 Posts
The way to make your own intercooler for very cheap price

I have already posted this, but here you go.

First you have to get the Intercooler core.

I AM POSITIVE that you will have the heavy duty mechanic shop(semi truck repair shop...Freightliner, Kenworth...etc, you get the idea) even the construction equipment sales(back hoe.. etc)

they almost all have the intercooler. It's okay if you find one with bad end tank. because you are gonna make one anyway.

You have to check how wide it would fit the biggest first(I measured it, but I forgot.. sorry. ) and go to several shops, and surprisingly, they are about 150 US$ normally.(because they are used, and they are only good for core. I got mine for 200can$) and those mechanics have no clue why you need them(they will ask you). just tell them I drive into the construction machinery or something like that, DON'T tell them you are using to put it on your STEALTH or 3000GT. they will charge you more I think.
oh, I forgot to mention. Many places will say, we don't sell used ones, because they have to send it for core, but all you have to say is "I will buy the core for same price as those manufactures" they are no more than 150 (pretty positive)

okay, now you have a core, you have to bring it to the electro plating shop(so called Chrome shop) and ask them to acid dip it. It only costs 15dollars or so. 20 max. and you pick it up and you will see beautiful(sort of) silver intercooler

now you got a clean intercooler, but they are normally way way way too big as you see on my picture. so. you gotta measure how much you could use. Bigger the better. Some people say it smaller is better to have less lag, but I did a research on it, and there is very little lag change with 500cc more of intercooling. might as well, make a big one, I am sure you cannot make too much bigger anyway. The main purpose why I made this thing is to free the flow of the compressed air. The stock one really really sucks(just look the veins) and go look at the one you can buy at the truck repair.

so,

next step

you need to make a plan to cut and make the end tanks. most aluminum fabricators would preffer 3D diagram with measurements. .I mean simple one is okay. with how you want to make the internal air guides (to use all the veins-VERY important)

so, you bring this plan with the intercooler, and they will make it for you. I got mine done for about 130 can$ which is 75 dollars? now the can dollar is so low...mmmm.

WARNING. do not attempt to cut the end tank if you don't have the arc cutter. I tried, and it is a waste of time. (with the air tool)
and it is terrible for your health.(aluminum particles in the air)

so let those proffessionals do the job.

Ask them to pressure check, and there you go. I checked for 50psi and it was okay, so

Don't forget to make the mounting braket with rubber, because aluminium will corrode away if it was touched directly with steel, (electrolosys) the white stuff(oxidization)

so, that is really all you need, oh, this is a time for you to make the output end with one pipe, so that you don't need those stupidly expensive Y-pipe. they are way over priced.

I used 2x2 inch pipes for the input side and 1 3inch for output side
I think... may be little bigger.

well, good luck
(Really the time you have to spend is to find the core and the measuring of it)

·
Registered
567 Posts
im very intereste din this project. can someone give me some more details on the design of the endtanks and how the piping is rerouted.

thanks

·
3,903 Posts
wow ajimbo, you should start selling those for about $1000 and make a good profit, I'm sure many people would buy them

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ya, maybe I should do that. I know that works as well as those from expensive shops, and I believe I have better end tank than them, most don't even do the internal air guides.

So, well, about the re routing the piping. is not hard.

The output part is one pipe, and pipe is just connected to your throttle body and the BOV, and it is just one, so easy peesy japaneasy job.

so,
the other part is just to bring the pipe from front turbo to the other side. (right side) so , there you go. When you make it, you will understand.

·
Registered
567 Posts
i kinda understand but do you have any pics?

i have acess to a dodge turbo diesel intercooler, if this will work then i can use that i just need some more help on this whole project.

maybe i could but the endtanks and piping and just use my core or something like that. whatever i can do to save money

thanks

·
3,903 Posts
ajimbo said:
Ya, maybe I should do that. I know that works as well as those from expensive shops, and I believe I have better end tank than them, most don't even do the internal air guides.
well let me know when you start selling them pre-made :D

·
Registered
567 Posts
i did a j-spec TT swap in my n/a base model car.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ok,

Sorry, I am travelling, so it is really hard to find the internet.

Now I am in Berlin.(Germany)

well, I will be back in Dec. 20th or so, and you know all that Christmas things that we all have to do till the end of the year. and I will start moving again.

So, I will do it for you if you want. I will make any size you want, as long as I will find the good core. (if you want the new core, I will find that, too) but I know it will be a lot more expensive. (I am pretty sure it performs as well as the used one)

Depends on your bumper, I think the size are different to make. but the front bumper bar(aluminium) might have to come out if you want to make the intercooler big. it is up to you.

I will let you all know when I am ready. I will post something like " custom frontmount intercooler for sale" in the sale section, so. ok?

·
Registered
567 Posts
well im up for getting one made. what will be the price of everything. can you give me a list of things. i might be able to get a core myslef. or would you mind sending me the plans for the endtanks and the piping.

Huey

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ya, I will send you when I get back home.

You can send me the core, but you gotta be sure the size(width) is right. because the width CANNOT be changed. (Height and Depth) can be changed. so just to let you know.

and I am not sure how much it cost yet, depends on the core, but with the piping, I will let you know.

I want to make it with mandarel bend, but with everything, I want to make it under 1000.(ship. incl.)

I think that is reasonable, isn't it?(of course, the thing will be pressure tested.)

·
3,903 Posts
ajimbo said:
Ya, I will send you when I get back home.

You can send me the core, but you gotta be sure the size(width) is right. because the width CANNOT be changed. (Height and Depth) can be changed. so just to let you know.

and I am not sure how much it cost yet, depends on the core, but with the piping, I will let you know.

I want to make it with mandarel bend, but with everything, I want to make it under 1000.(ship. incl.)

I think that is reasonable, isn't it?(of course, the thing will be pressure tested.)
seems quite reasonable

Would it be worth having one that would fit without removing the front bumper bar?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts