Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading some posts on the DSM boards, I have seen a lot of comments about the need to clean the INSIDES of intercoolers due to oil streaming. Has anyone ever done this on our cars and how easy is it to perform on our cars? The DSM folks take the intercooler out and swish gasoline inside until it comes out clean.

If it is easy to do, I will make a temperature measurement before and after to see if there is any benefit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
david j,

good question. I've also heard that cleaning the intercoolers was very beneficial.
please let my know what you find out, and also how you cleaned yours if you do. I will also check with someone i know that has cleaned intercoolers in the past if there is any trick to doing it.

jack s.
3si#296

·
Registered
431 Posts
I just use gasoline. I guess a paint thinner such as Xylene would also work well.

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AWDTT-
Did you remove the intercoolers to do the cleaning? If so, how easy was it? Do you have a procedure? If not, how did you get the gasoline in and out?
Thanks

F

·
0 Posts
you just take them off, por some gas in there, swoosh it around and domp it out (in a drain pan or it will stain your drive way, it comes out black!) let them dry and slap them back in

hope this helps

Matt Monett www.dynamicracing1.com

[This message has been edited by FastMatt (edited January 06, 2000).]

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, let me be more specific. How do you take the intercoolers out of the car. Do you remove the skid plate on the bottom of the car and just simply unbolt the intercoolers or is it some other procedure. I looked in the shop manual but it only show 3 bolts holding them in place, not a procedure to remove them from the car. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts