Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a DOHC automatic FWD stealth. I just lost my fourth gear. I live in canada and trannys are hard to come by. I have heard that the transmissions from the SOHC moddels are the same as the DOHC models. If this is true then I should be able to get a tranny from a 3.0L daytona or caravan and it will bolt in. The SOHC engines are just about identical to the daytona and caravan 30.L. If anyone knows any info on what trannys are compatible please leave a message. Also if you got a tranny for sale leave a message.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
ryanpaus said:
Ok I have a DOHC automatic FWD stealth. I just lost my fourth gear. I live in canada and trannys are hard to come by. I have heard that the transmissions from the SOHC moddels are the same as the DOHC models. If this is true then I should be able to get a tranny from a 3.0L daytona or caravan and it will bolt in.
Not quite right. The basic 6g72 block is the same, but the overall engine is very different, including how it sits in the car. The transmssion you need has to come from a Stealth or 3000GT. The 92-97 Diamantes use the same DOHC and a similar SOHC engine. and they seem to have auto trannies that are somehow different (maybe in minor ways, maybe not) from our '3/S'es.

Even with in Stealths and 3000GT, only certain years are exact matchups to each other. Off the top of my head (and don't take this a gospell), only 91's are interchangable with each other, 92s and 93's with each other, 94's with each other, and 95's with each other. You MAY be able to use a tranny listed above from a DOHC or SOHC of the same year (or years in the case of the 92s and 93s) as long as you switch torque converters. Little seems to be known/shared about our auto trannies on this board (more attention is paid to our NA 5spds or 5 and 6spd Getrag - the common suggestion when auto trannies go bad is to switch to manual). It could be minor things that prevent us from swaping from one year auto tranny to another. I personally am trying to put a 91 tranny in a 94-I've been told by Kormex a few things that need to swaped out and am going to try and see what happens.

The SOHC engines are just about identical to the daytona and caravan 30.L. If anyone knows any info on what trannys are compatible please leave a message. Also if you got a tranny for sale leave a message. [/B]

Last, but not least!
From what you describe, you might just have a burnt out clutch pack (or I think sometimes called overdrive pack). Run a search for those terms. Somewhere in one of our old posts, there should be a link to a DSM site that'll sell you the parts that are needed-it actually seems pretty easy.

Good luck!

Ron

edited for clarification

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.