Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my gf's vr-4 got hit by a large industrial truck while it (the vr-4) was parked illegally - she does that, don't ask me why. the damage to the car is minimal - just the bumper and right turn signal, and one of the shops said something about a "bent structural bracket" and a "cracked headlight seal" and quoted about 1800 for the repair job.

the truck's insurance company now refuses to pay saying that that, because the car was parked illegally(though not in a loading zone), the truck is not liable for hitting it.

now, in my mind, the car was a stationary object and was hit by a moving object, therefore the operator of the moving object is responsible. is there some loophole i don't know about when you're parked illegally?
Matt

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,608 Posts
A driver of any vehicle is supposed to have control of that vehicle at all times. If the car was parked illegally, but not causing an obstruction or hazard, I'd say the truck driver is liable. Let your girl friend's insurance company fix her car and then let the insurance companies battle it out. Does she have collision coverage?

·
1,568 Posts
I would talk to your Insurance company and ask their advice in getting the Truck Co. to pay damage. Even though you do not have collision they should be able to explain the procedure for making claim against the other Insurance and indicate what your odds are in being successful. Sounds like you will have to take them to court.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Like the others said, talk to the insurance company. Even though she doesn't have collision coverage (which this is because it was another vehicle), they can offer advice. If not, I would consult an attorney. But keep in mind, she was illegally parked, which will go against her. To what extent, that I'm not sure of.

What she inside the car when it happened? Did she have her hazards on?

Another thing to keep in mind. Large trucking companies and etc. are total liars. They will do ANYTHING to get out of this, from telling lies and trying to force an unfair settlement. My dad was on a business trip in Chicago one time and in traffic, a semi slowly rolled backward and hit him. He wasn't moving at all. The trucker ignored him when he came out of the car to tell him and the trucking company said it never happened. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts