Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently replacing my AEM v1 ECU with a LINK ECU on my 1999 VR4.

Anyone with any experience with the LINK ECU?

I was going to go with the AEM Infinity but my tuner recommended the LINK.

I was pretty set on the AEM and even made a custom crank sensor wheel to use it.

If anyone wants a used AEM v1 ECU, let me know.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Link ECU's are great, but I live in the country where they're built, they're readily available, everyone seems to be a dealer and every tuner knows how to work with them.

I'm surprised your tuner is recommending one over an AEM. Do you think it's a good option long term? What happens if your tuner disappears and you need to find someone else?

In NZ, some owners have had success running plugin Evo LinkECUs on the GTO, it's a good plug & play option. I'm not sure what plug your USDM 99 has though.

I'm running a wired in Vipec (a Link with a different name), I've personally found it very easy to work with and the local support is excellent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been running a Link 4GX for almost 2 years now on a 1gen Stealth R/T TT.
Have the EVO 1-3 Plug-in, on which you need to do a few pins/wire changes, and configure 6-cylinders, and firing order etc. to get it to run the 6G72 TT.
But obviously the engine management logic between the Evo and the 3000GT of that era is the same.

Not sure what versoin the Gen3 would use, but just a note that Link has a VR4 marked ECU, but I do belive that one is for the Galant VR4.

Had my 4GX plug in installed and Dyno-tuned by the local dealer her in Finland in fall 2020. Did E85 conversion now in June this year.
Running speed density ofc.

Personally been really pleased with the Link 4GX. Having run a Haltech Interceptor piggy-back for 5+ years, with the Link, engine runs much smoother and tuning is much more straightforward.
You do ofc need a set of sensors, IAT, Wideband AFR, MAP (comes with the ECU), plus electronic boost solenoid and Fuel pressure sensor, E85 senosr (for flexfuel) makes good sense also.
But I guess, propably having used the AEM, some of those you already have installed.

Altough, as previous poster noted, it does make good sense to have dealer support close, would still maybe also maintain that, having done mild street tuning for a few years, this is now much more straightforfard than Haltech, especially since Link has a great logging and tuning application for Windows.
MAP related AFR:s, fuel, timing, temp adjusted actions/restrictions, etc, all pretty standard and easy to get a hang of.
For Flexfuel you can set up tables based on rate of ethanol, that then can directly steer for example how much timing, and fuel supply is advanced compared to E5 gasoline.
Link also has OBD2, so you can put a blutooth dongle on it and run apps like Torque or RealDash on an Android Pad or phone.

There are some quirks on it tough, for example, injector size is specified through milliseconds, boost pressure is controlled through Wastegate Duty cycle (100% is full open), Engine protection limits, are not really the limits, but by default settings the ECU does fuel cut 200rpm, or 10kpa before the limit, just to be safe, and some other stuff...
And one thing that I have not gotten a hang of yet is how Link handles Knock, which seems like a fairly complex set of inputs and actions.
But running E85 now, with a fairly mild tune, knock is not really an issue atm for me.

Anyways, just my toughts, hope they helped give some more perspective on the issue.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

My tuner has experience with the link 4gx and the AEM and recommended the LINK as that is what they have changed to for their race cars. They said support for the infinity will be going away.

They have been tuning and racing Mitsubishis and other makes for about 20 years and I trust their expertise. Plus they will be tuning it and I want them to be confident as I don't want to rebuild the motor. They are always busy and I don't think they will be going anywhere for a while.

I'm getting it tuned for E85 as well.

Didn't know it had OBD2, that's a great feature to have in a standalone.

I'll post more info as it progresses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts