Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that installing the k&n air filter is pretty easy, but i need to know HOW easy....i love my stealth(92 r/t), but im not mechanically inclined at all! is it just screwed on, or do things need to be drilled? the same with taking off the old stuff,...do you just unscrew it? also, in your guys opinion, is this mod worth it?
thanks you all!
freddyx

·
Registered
182 Posts
First, disconnect the electrical connection on the side of the MAS. You need to do this for two reasons, one obviously to get the MAS out, the second is so the computer will be reset and re-learn the increased air flow. You might hear the engine running a little rough for the first few minutes after you install the K&N FIPK, that's just the computer adjusting the fuel mixture.

Second, loosen the clamp that holds the MAS to the intake tube that goes to the throttle body. Then remove the entire upper half of the airbox with the MAS attached.

Now here's the most difficult part, removing the MAS from the upper half of the airbox. There are 4 screws attaching the airbox to the MAS. They use 10mm nuts on the outside where the MAS attaches, however, on the inside of the airbox, the screws are held in place by 2 plastic tabs on either side of each screw. The heads of the screws are round with 2 flats machined on each side. They don't have the standard hexagon shaped head like most screws. When you turn the nut to loosen the screw, the screw will attempt to turn also, but the plastic tabs on two of my screws could not hold the screw and I could not remove it easily. I used a Dremel Tool with a grinding bit and cut the plastic tabs of the inside of the airbox only on the screws that turned. The other two were easily removed. You could probably use a pair of adjustable pliers to hold the plastic tabs and preventing the screws from turning. I think the factory puts Loctite on the treads of each screw so they won't become loose.

There is a honeycomb element inside the MAS, be careful not to damamge it. I'm not 100% sure what it deos, but it's best to leave it alone. Once you remove the airbox from the MAS, you must attached the K&N adapter plate to the MAS with their screws. On the two bottom screws, you will also be attaching two "L" metal brackets which support the MAS, they connect to the inner wheel well where the factory airbox is located.

Now you have to remove the bottom half of the factory airbox. Save everything! I think the "L" brackets use one of the factory mounting points too. Then you install the MAS back into the air intake tube, loosely attahced the "L" brackets to the inner wheel well where the factory airbox was, then align it and tighten the 4 screws and the clamp that hold the MAS to the intake. Don't forget to reconnect the MAS electrical connector.

That's about it. One other tip for you, while you have the MAS out, you have the option to remove the air intake tube from the throttle body, then you will see the intake resonator under the tube. It's your choice to remove the resonator bottle and plug the hole with something of a similar diameter that is solid and can withstand the heat. I used an old lid from a small jar that was a good fit. What this will do, supposedly, it straighten the air flow into the throttle body. One thing for sure, with the swap to the K&N, you could hear the difference, it's somewhat louder at wide open throttle (WOT). When I later removed the resonator bottle, it got even louder at WOT! I did feel a small boost in the mid RPM's only when floored and it was noticeable.

I had the K&N installed on my previous 3000GT, it was an SL with an auto trans. Now I have a VR-4, but the K&N filter I kept from the SL is still sitting in the garage waiting to be installed on the VR-4, they both use the same FIPK.

Hope this helps! My fingers are tired of typing!!

Brian

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
About the 4 screws and plastic tabs: The first time I tried it, I stripped the plactic and had to use an impact wrench to get them out. When I got my next stealth, it was alot easier. All you need is regular sized pliers, and hold the bolt in place by squeezing the plastic tabs, and then use a 10mm wrench from the other side to get it out. This way they won't be stripped and it's hell of alot easier than cutting anything.

Jason
92 Stealth R/T TT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.