Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first question is what do i do with the plastic shroud that makes air flow to the radiator an evenly flow. do i remove it, or cut it on the top so the IC core will set in it?

well i will be adding more questions as i go... chad

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok

ok cool thats what my instincts were telling me to do, but i have went by them before on other things and didn't turn out to great :p

anyways, what do i do with the active area spolier? do i leave it in or will i have to remove it? because this core has to brakets that point to the back of the car and have to be bolted into some kin of cross-member under there?

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
That shroud deal is one of the things I've been thinking of when it comes to installing my FMIC.

Everything I've ever read says that you need to seal around the IC core in order to force the air to travel throgh the core. You want to take away the air's ability to just go around it...if you don't the core won't be as efficient. The same goes for the radiator.

Now all that theory is fine and dandy but how do you adhere to it? I'm going to look at the setup when I do my install and see if maybe I can't fabricate something to seal up the core....maybe plastic or tin or something. I'm going to have to see exactly how the IC sits in there before I can figure out what would be the best way to duct it.

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
From what I understand, air will take the path of least resistance. As it comes out of your FMIC, some of it is going to go under or around the radiator. I am also going to do what Trevor is talking about. I am going to try to seal the area from the rear of the FMIC to the radiator.

It may not be completely necessary, but it sounds like it makes sense, so why not?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok

hey people thanks for all the responses, i think i may cut the plastic shroud to go around the IC, it's not a huge one like pauls, but close (just not as talll) and i don't have to cut the crush bar.

ok so paul as in that motor/motor braket. are you talking about that black one that attaches to the bottom of that shroud? with those plastic lock screws?

because i was wondering if i could do away with it?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well...

well guys it has been a LONG and slow day :eek:

i still have to put the bumper back on tommarrow and do some cutting to it before it will fit back on over the pipes (foglight area, for the pipes going in and out of the core), but i am not worried about that.

here is what all i had to end up removing today...

-the foglights
-the active aereo motor
-the plastic air flow shroud, was going to keep it and cut it up, but that didn't work
-moved the oil cooler foward about 4 inches (no problem)

now i am debating on if i should put the active areo spoiler back up underneath the car or not, i mean it want be functional. i left the long rod that the spolier attaches to, that moves it when the motor turns. if i put it back up underneath there all it will be doing
is hanging down and probably bouncing up and down when hitting a bump, or at higher speeds when air is going directly at it.

i am also wondering if i should cut the crush bar enough to let the IC core sit straight up, (it' slighly slanted, the top is pointing back)
the difference is about 1.5 to 2" inches between the top and the bottom.

well guys any more opinions, or notices on what i should look out for would really be appreciated, before i start again tommarrow.

thanks... chad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts