Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I am Cool
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a gift, I received a VIS racing aluminum spoiler for my birthday. I called numerous amounts of body shops which gave me an estimate of 500-600 dollars. IT cost more than the spiler!!

Isn't this a rip-off? if i were to install the spoiler myself and get the holes patched up would it cost less?

And if i were to install the spoiler myself what tools would be necessary inorder to drill the holes into my car???

Exactly what is costing so much? the paint?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Here's the steps they take- Unbolting all the stuff to take the old spoiler off. Prep/weld op the old holes. Align and drill holes for new spoiler. Paint(good deal of prepwork here,too. put on new spoiler and all the plastic inside the trunk has to go back together. Its a good eight hour job.
Fugure in product costs with a markup and Labor cost(a lot) and thats probably right.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
my ES didnt have a stock spoiler, so i just lined up my aluminum 1, marked the skrewholes for the mounts, and drilled (took of the back plastic piece in the hatch) that was it for me...about 1 hr or so

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
they would have to remove your stock spoiler. fill in...like 6 holes or something. repaint the entire hatch. then mount the new spoiler on.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
well it wouldn't be that hard for them to fill in the stock holes because the stealth spoilers aren't even on the metal part of the hatch.

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
dude that part behind the window where the stealth spoiler is mounted IS metal, what are you smoking?

·
reason for tickets.......
1,039 Posts
burn, where did you get your spoiler? And how much did it cost?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
i got it at a place called HTA Motorsports in phoenix, AZ. i cost aroun $175. if u live in AZ, i wouldnt recommend going to HTA n e wayz, cuz i think their service is horrible. i ordered the wing, and i took them **2 weeks** to actually call in the order. i was understandible pissed. and it took another 2 weeks for the wing to come in. bad experiences.......

·
reason for tickets.......
1,039 Posts
Burn, I love the way that spoiler looks, do you have any better pics of the back of your car w/ the APR spoiler on it? How hard was it to install, and what did you do w/ your old spoiler? Are you happy w/ how it looks?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Sorry, i had to format my computer cuz it was all messed up, and i thought i had backups of all my car pics, but i didnt. all i have is whats on the main page of my website. www.geocities.com/greg_161
im gonna try to borrow the school's digital camera sometime b4 christmas (cuz i dont have my own yet :mad: )

When i bought my car about 6 months ago, it didnt have a stock (or aftermarket) wing , so i got lucky when i installed it that i didnt have to fill in n e old holes.

Installation was fairly easy. All you need to do, is...

1.) snap off the plastic covering on the inside of the hatch
2.) measure the hatch to figure out where the middle is
3.) measure the middle of the wing, and line it up to the middle of the hatch.
4.) move the wing as far forward/back as u want it
5.) mark the holes, take the wing off, and put the wing back on to make sure the holes are correct.
6.) After u are fully satisfied w/ the placement of the wing, use a *small* drillbit to drill a pilot hole.
7.) after all the pilot holes are drilled, line the wing stands up to the holes to doublecheck that everything is centered b4 u start using the desired drillbit size.
8.) after this is all completed, put a few beads of silicon on the wing skrews (attached to the hatch) to prevent the hatch from leaking. most wings come with a water-resistand patch to go under the stands, so the silicon is optional.
9.) Enjoy your new wing!

I am very satisfied w/ the way my wing looks. After i went to order the wing, i was leaving HTA, i saw a Cavalier w/ the same wing as i just ordered, so i was kinda down. but, when i finally got the wing, it had a little different shape (cuz i ordered the longest 1 available...57"). The only thing i dont like about my wing, is that it sits kinda low. Like when i look through my rear-view mirror, all i see is an aluminim streak. probably cuz i have it tilted all the wat forward, so it has a slanted instead of a straight look. hehe. but other than that, im very pleased. from some angles, my car looks like an Indy racer. well, maybe not an indy racer, but almost ;) Email me if u have n e other question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts