Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sport mode (red arrows) Exhaust flows through 3" pipe then splits into two and goes through two small resonators before it leaves the muffler. There are 3-4 small holes in the pipe which allows a little bit of exhaust to cross over to the pass. side pipes. I doubt that much exhaust goes through that side in sport mode since the exhaust will travel the path of least resistance.
Tour mode: (green arrows) exhaust goes through 2" pipe only and dumps into the interior of the muffler. Exhaust then travels into the passenger side piping. Note the same small holes mentioned above will allow exhaust to travel out the drivers side pipes. This time more will flow out of the little holes since there is more resistance to flow out the pass. side. (this is a guess) This would account for you guys seeing exhaust out of both pipes in tour mode.

Conclusion: If you are getting flow out of both pipes and your exhaust is stuck... get it FIXED !!! All your exhaust is going through a little 2" pipe and hurting your upper RPM performance. I went drag racing with my car with the exhaust stuck in tour and could only get a best of 14.5 sec in the 1/4 mile. I realize I am not the best driver but should have been better than that.

Hope this settles the exhaust debates

Later,

Kevin

S

·
0 Posts
Mine was stuck in the tour mode...I checked and found that the cable was broke and the motor doesnt work.I manually switched to sport(lots-o-liq wrench)and thats where she stays.I dont know if im stupid enough to spend that kind of money to get single exhaust...I may rip the whole thing off and put new pipe and some cool turbo mufflers..thanks for the explaination though , its not often that you get a look inside that thing.....thanks again.....Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts