Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the REF-9632ix and REF-6532ix to replace the stock speakers in my 97 VR4. Unfortunately, the stock speakers have become so old that the paper baffles seem the be separating. Others on here have said how good the reference speakers sound with the stock amp and head unit, but I am confused why. I listen to "rock" music mostly and the mid-range is almost absent. The bass on these speakers seems better than stock, but I am not out to thump thump around the neighborhood. : ) Does anyone else have experience with these speakers? On paper it seems like the stock system should drive them perfectly fine and they should sound good. Did I get a defective set?

·
Registered
771 Posts
One person's concept of good sound is different than another's. It depends how far down the audio rabbit hole you want to go, but a good start is a new head unit with better EQ capability to dial in the sound more to your liking. Car audio is just a mess if you really look at it, a tweeter 3 feet away from a woofer, on a different plane, makes no sense.

·
Super Moderator
21,059 Posts
I ordered the REF-9632ix and REF-6532ix to replace the stock speakers in my 97 VR4. Unfortunately, the stock speakers have become so old that the paper baffles seem the be separating. Others on here have said how good the reference speakers sound with the stock amp and head unit, but I am confused why. I listen to "rock" music mostly and the mid-range is almost absent. The bass on these speakers seems better than stock, but I am not out to thump thump around the neighborhood. : ) Does anyone else have experience with these speakers? On paper it seems like the stock system should drive them perfectly fine and they should sound good. Did I get a defective set?
If your driver surrounds are split, they will not be working properly and you could damage them permanently by continuing to use them...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some more testing and located the issue. The stock amp wattage is not sufficient to power the 6x9 Infinity Reference speakers. It powers the 6.5 speakers adequately however. So as a tip for others looking to keep things stock, the REF-6532ix is an option with the stock stereo and amp for the doors and rear. I sounds pretty good on the stock amp and could be used in the rear with a mounting bracket.

I was hoping to get some richer bass since the stock 6x9 speakers sound good, but are "punchy" instead of "rich" in tone. I ordered a JL 600/6 amp tonight to replace the stock amp, but I will keep the stock stereo. I'll post back if this results in a decent sounding system.

·
Registered
771 Posts
That doesnt make any sense to me. Does your car have dash tweeters? I shouldve googled the part numbers but assumed you had bought components for the front but it looks like you got coaxials.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the JL amp installed yesterday. As suspected, the Infinity 6x9 speakers sounded like crap because the stock amp was under powering them. They sound great now. These are clearly better speakers than the stock ones I took out.

Sandstone, the 6x9 went in the back. I am running the 6.5 infinity reference in the doors and I have some JBL GTO 220s in the dash. Adding an amp also helped those to sound better since I was able to properly adjust the gain for a 4 ohm load instead of 8 ohm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts