Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the Infinity Gold speaker system's Ohms are???

I blew the right door speaker and I want to replace both door and rear speakers (b/c someone told me if I'm going to replace one set, I might as well do both. Is that true?)

So I went to Best Buy to check out some speakers and I found some decent Pioneer 3 ways and wanted to purchase them. However, the installer there told me b/c I have the Infinity Gold system it may run on 2 ohms (because it is powered??? I have some amp looking thing under the passenger seat) and he said if it is 2 ohms then he would have to rewire my system and that could cost another $150 - $200 and then he said it's not a guarantee that my head unit would even work.

Is this guy giving me a load of BS, or is this the truth? I can't imagine that blowing one speaker could cost me this much.

If anyone has any speaker recommendations I am open to it. I don't care about thundering bass or kevlar tweeter cones etc. I just want to be able to turn it up a bit and not fear blowing speakers.

John

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Fiyaguy98SL said:
Sorry, I know it is in my user name but I drive a 1998 SL
They are 2 ohm speakers 2 ohm speakers can be replaced with 4 ohm but you may find yourself with "underdriven speaker syndrome" If the speakers you replace them with are not efficient.
"Dash & Door Speaker alternative, installation, & review"

Then get a 98+ Diamante amp.

I did an oem amp test I'll put it in front page and host it and some one can post it in wiki

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so does that mean I can just buy 2ohm speakers and forget about having them re-wire the amp and head unit, or whatever they said they needed to do?

I just want to fix my speakers and do not want to spend $600 to do so.

John

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Fiyaguy98SL said:
so does that mean I can just buy 2ohm speakers and forget about having them re-wire the amp and head unit, or whatever they said they needed to do?

I just want to fix my speakers and do not want to spend $600 to do so.

John
:rolleyes:

How do you figure $600??

Stop and think why the speakers blew first???

Here's a hint

$99 for the speakers and the amps are $35+

Diamond audio 361's on ebay

Amp on ebay

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Try leaving the rears alone for now it's the amp that makes them sound like shit

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea how to hook up an amp, nor am I interested in attempting it. You asked how the speakers blew in the first place, I have no idea. I just want to put a CD in and listen to music. I do not think I play the radio too loud....who knows, maybe I do but I'm not the original owner of the car so the first owner could have destroyed it.

The problem is that I work 6 days a week and don't have the time to start ripping my passenger seat out to install a new amp especially in the Winter.

The reason I said $600 is b/c the Best Buy guy said I would have to pay to rewire the amp ($150-$200) and I may need a new head unit (i gotta figure at least $200 or more) and also the price of the speakers installed (all 4 would be about $200).

I didn't mean your ideawas $600, just the idea for my lack of audio technical ability.

I've searched online for 2ohm speakers and of course, there aren't many. The infinity Kappas are pretty much the only thing ive found, but they are $300....sigh.

I love my 3KGT, but why is everything so difficult!!!! AAAAAH

John

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
The installers make everything a big deal just so they can screw you. There is no reason for them to rewire anything. But if you buy the wrong speakers for replacement you will not be happy. 2 ohms or not.

The 98-03 amp is plug and play the seat is 5 minutes out and 5 back in. As for the speakers DIY. How much time do you have to work for the labor they want?

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you replace the headunit you don't have to rewire the amp, even if you want to integrate the amp to work with an aftermarket headunit you don't have to rewire it. Replacing the amp is child's play since all you have to do is pull the seat, remove some screws, and then unplug it. So even in the middle of winter it shouldn't take but 20 mins tops.

The biggest problem I see with trying to replace the stock speakers with aftermarket ones while still using the factory amp is that you won't find a direct match. The high end treble clarity of a perspective speaker is worthless, the amp has a high pass filter that removes a lot of the treble from the door speakers. Also having 4 ohm speakers mixed in with 2 ohm ones will make it seem like the door speakers aren't even there. The tweeters and 6x9's will be much louder due to both impedance and efficiency mismatch.

If you want an easy fix just look for another factory speaker to replace the blown one. Even used speakers in good shape would be fine, hit up the forum for another factory speaker.

But if your factory amp is messed up you will have problems even if you fix the speaker, but odds are the amp is fine and the speaker just died.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I buy the amp i simply unplug the one I have now and replace all the wires with the new one? I dont have to go into the dash or anything?

Also, and I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but the reason I am doing this is so I can use 4ohm speakers, right??? I am totally lost on this whole process.

Here is what I assume:

1) Buy the amp and just replace it with the one I have.

2) Install any 4ohm 6 x 5 speaker

3) In the future if i wanted to, i could replace the rear with any 6 x 9 4ohm speaker.

Sorry for all the confusion, but I dont know much about car stereo's (obviously)

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
95gto,

are you saying that even if I find a 2 ohm speaker it will not match very well? I am not going to put 4 ohm speakers in the car, I understand the problem with that now.

But if I am going to spend $200 (amp and speakers with shipping on eBay) I'd rather buy the Kappa series I listed above and just install those....assuming you think this would work fine...but as I mentioned above, I dont know if you were saying it won't match well no matter what 2 ohm speaker I use, unless i replace the amp.

john

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
95gto said:
If you replace the headunit you don't have to rewire the amp, even if you want to integrate the amp to work with an aftermarket headunit you don't have to rewire it. Replacing the amp is child's play since all you have to do is pull the seat, remove some screws, and then unplug it. So even in the middle of winter it shouldn't take but 20 mins tops.

The biggest problem I see with trying to replace the stock speakers with aftermarket ones while still using the factory amp is that you won't find a direct match. The high end treble clarity of a perspective speaker is worthless, the amp has a high pass filter that removes a lot of the treble from the door speakers. Also having 4 ohm speakers mixed in with 2 ohm ones will make it seem like the door speakers aren't even there. The tweeters and 6x9's will be much louder due to both impedance and efficiency mismatch.

If you want an easy fix just look for another factory speaker to replace the blown one. Even used speakers in good shape would be fine, hit up the forum for another factory speaker.

But if your factory amp is messed up you will have problems even if you fix the speaker, but odds are the amp is fine and the speaker just died.

Thats dreaming. I've been in stock 3kgt audio way too long. The 3k amp sucks. These are $20 amps maybe. (search my post on the IC's and amp pics too) The stock doors just can't play the highs. As far as replacement speakers If the speakers recommended are used the rears are great. AND replacing the amp will decrease the distortion and clipping that blows the fronts and will increase the SPL.

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Fiyaguy98SL said:
95gto,

are you saying that even if I find a 2 ohm speaker it will not match very well? I am not going to put 4 ohm speakers in the car, I understand the problem with that now.

But if I am going to spend $200 (amp and speakers with shipping on eBay) I'd rather buy the Kappa series I listed above and just install those....assuming you think this would work fine...but as I mentioned above, I dont know if you were saying it won't match well no matter what 2 ohm speaker I use, unless i replace the amp.

john
FYI theyre not worth the cost. We already know their efficiency rating is skewed. From previous complaints. I gave you the base model Diamond that works well with the stock system. What makes you think the infinity is better? It's price?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave, I believe you that the diamonds are better. I just thought the only way I could use them was to replace the amp, so I suggested buying any 2 ohm speaker....the Infinity's just happened to be the first one's i found.

But that was not my point. My point was, do I have to change the amp? I read your thread that you gave me titled:

This seems too complicated for me, much more complicated than a plug and play I think. I did not realize I would have to replace tweeters in the dashboard and have to run wires up the side of the dash etc. This seems very difficult. I mean, i've never attempted anything like this before. Was I naive to think I just had to pop the speaker panels off and replace the speakers like you would a home entertainment speaker?

Therefore, if I buy the diamond speakers (or any 2 ohm speaker for that matter) will they work with my stock amp and head unit? Or do I have to replace the amp too.

I am looking for the simplest fix here.

If I have misunderstood your thread for installing the amp please clarify. If it is as simple as taking the seat out and putting the same wires that are in the stock amp into a new one (no soldering, no drilling new holes) then I think I can do that.

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Fiyaguy98SL said:
Dave, I believe you that the diamonds are better. I just thought the only way I could use them was to replace the amp, so I suggested buying any 2 ohm speaker....the Infinity's just happened to be the first one's i found.

But that was not my point. My point was, do I have to change the amp? I read your thread that you gave me titled:

This seems too complicated for me, much more complicated than a plug and play I think. I did not realize I would have to replace tweeters in the dashboard and have to run wires up the side of the dash etc. This seems very difficult. I mean, i've never attempted anything like this before. Was I naive to think I just had to pop the speaker panels off and replace the speakers like you would a home entertainment speaker?

Therefore, if I buy the diamond speakers (or any 2 ohm speaker for that matter) will they work with my stock amp and head unit? Or do I have to replace the amp too.

I am looking for the simplest fix here.

If I have misunderstood your thread for installing the amp please clarify. If it is as simple as taking the seat out and putting the same wires that are in the stock amp into a new one (no soldering, no drilling new holes) then I think I can do that.
The infiinity aftermarkets are not plug and play either. The diamond speakers installed with their crossovers only on the tweeters will not blow. AND the amp does not have to be mounted on the stock bracket (drilling) it needs to be secured to the floor so the seat won't hit it. There is no soldering cutting-splicing there on the amp it is true plug and play. You have to get into this and do it yourself there is much more pleasure in knowing that you did it. Ask for local help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ugh, I dont even know what a crossover is...I'm screwed.

So, in summation I should:
1) buy the Diamond D-661 speakers

2) Buy a 2001 Diamante amp and install it. And this does not have to be drilled into the floor board, correct?

My final concerns:

1) You mentioned above that the amp does not have to be mounted to the stock bracket, but rather it just needs to be secured to the floor....How do I secure it without drilling or using the stock bracket?

2) Is 2001 the only Diamante model year amp I can use? And does this mean that Mitsu gave the 3KGT a shitty amp, and the Diamante a good one?

3) After doing all this, can I replace the rears at some point with a Diamond brand...and if so, are these replacement speakers 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

4) I looked at pics of your Diamond D-661 installation. What is P5210143.JPG of? It appears these come with the Diamond speakers....but what in the world are they? Is this what a crossover is? If so, am I to assume the speakers come with directions on how in the world to hook these things up?

I really appreciate all your time and patience. With proper direction I'm sure I can do this, but having never attempted it and not knowing the terminology I tend to ask 1000 questions. Please respond to my above questions at your leisure and let me know if the Diamond speakers and the Diamante Amp are all I need.

John

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Fiyaguy98SL said:
Ugh, I dont even know what a crossover is...I'm screwed.

So, in summation I should:
1) buy the Diamond D-661 speakers

I suggested the 361 but the 661's would be good for future upgrades

2) Buy a 2001 Diamante amp and install it. And this does not have to be drilled into the floor board, correct?

2001-part of 2003 check the post

My final concerns:

1) You mentioned above that the amp does not have to be mounted to the stock bracket, but rather it just needs to be secured to the floor....How do I secure it without drilling or using the stock bracket?

Wire ties to the carpet would do.

2) Is 2001 the only Diamante model year amp I can use? And does this mean that Mitsu gave the 3KGT a shitty amp, and the Diamante a good one?

read the post again any diamante is better I think the Diamante came later and their dash speakers are 3 oz heavier too.

3) After doing all this, can I replace the rears at some point with a Diamond brand...and if so, are these replacement speakers 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

I think the stock coaxi are pretty good give em a shot

4) I looked at pics of your Diamond D-661 installation. What is P5210143.JPG of? It appears these come with the Diamond speakers....but what in the world are they? Is this what a crossover is? If so, am I to assume the speakers come with directions on how in the world to hook these things up?

Those are the crossovers as you can see the crossovers were only used for the tweeters. The wires were connected up top at the dash speaker wire from the origional speaker then run down to the crossover and back up to the diamond tweeter. The crossovers have to be used.
I really appreciate all your time and patience. With proper direction I'm sure I can do this, but having never attempted it and not knowing the terminology I tend to ask 1000 questions. Please respond to my above questions at your leisure and let me know if the Diamond speakers and the Diamante Amp are all I need.

John
Replied inside quote

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Dave,

However, one last question....when I replace the amp with the Diamante amp do I still need to use 2ohm speakers? Or was the purpose of all this to be able to use 4ohm speakers?

I plan on buying the Diamond's you suggested, however I just want to know what ohm speakers I need to use in case I decide to replace the rear's in the future, or if I decide to replace the Diamond's at any point in the future since I plan on having this car for a long time.

I cannot even figure out if the Diamond's are 2ohm or 4ohm (their website is not cooperating with me so I cannot see the specs).

Thank you again,

John

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
The diamonds have a 4 ohm rating. You don't have to use two ohm speakers on the amps either. What damages amps or puts them in protect is using 2 ohm speakers on circuits rated for 4ohms. A two ohm rated speaker isn't necessarily any louder. The crossovers can make a component set rated for 2 ohms too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts