Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I was looking at the 3/S specs for all the years and makes and one thing I never knew was that the Base model 3000gt was 222HP for the first six years (gen1 and gen2). What the heck is the difference between a 91' Base and a 91' SL other than interior if the HP is the same? Why would Mitsu then slash the HP for 97'-99' on the base and put the SOHC engine in it? Other than make it a cheaper buy, it took away from the GTO status. What's worse is the HP rating on the SL went from 222HP to 218HP according to the specs in this link, what?

http://www.stealth-3000gt.st/FAQ-Specs1.htm

I've heard of inconsistencies like 222HP and 225HP but not 218. Also, look at the weight variences for the 91' Stealths. The Base, the ES, and the R/T are all the same. What the heck? Maybe a typo. And look at the Base model HP for 97' to 99', 161? What happened to the missing 4hp? And why the freak is the 91' VR4 exactly .6" longer than the other VR4's?

And to poke the fire more, why the crap is the 91' Stealth ES rated at 18/24 MPG and the 91' SL is 19/24 MPG when the ES weighs so much less?

I know, this thread is just screaming and yelling, but some of this stuff just doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Well, here's my $.02 on the topic. Mitsubishi made the 3000GT, and Dodge used the guts of a 3000GT to make the Stealth. I'm sure they did seperate testing of each model. So they probably came up with different number depending on climate, driving, etc. I've never gotten 18mpg or 19mpg city with my stock ES. I usually get around 21-25mpg. The slight hp difference is probably due to some engine tweaks. You can't expect Mitsubishi to built an engine for 8 years and expect them not to mess with it in some way. Although they might have to tune it down for better emissions. Also, not every ES with have exactly 222hp at the crank. Some will have 219, others will have 226. Depends on when, where, etc. If they re-dynoed everything in 97' they might have come up with different numbers. And I personally like the SOHC. Uses regular cheap gas, and is powerful enough for daily driving. Not everyone needs 320hp for driving to the supermarket. The .6" on the 91 VR4 could have been some sort of a front lip that they figured was ugly, and got rid of it the next year. anyone have a 91' VR4? .6" could be anything. Anyone else have an opinion about all this?

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
I don't have an answer to all of that, but maybe I can help a little with the engine change.

The way I understand it, some time around the mid '90's the yen started to lose value against the dollar, so instead of raising the price of the cars, they were "devalued". A lot of the spiffy features of the early- to mid-90's 3000's disappeared, such as ECS, Digital Climate Control, etc. I know for a fact that 99 SL's don't have either ECS or DCC. That is very likely the reason that the engine changed as well, but don't quote me on that ;).

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
Let me throw another wrench in the mix here. My local Mitsu dealer has a VERY knowledgeable service manager. I've gotten to know him a little bit and he ia a real fan of 3Ks. He told me that even though the DOHC in '99 is rated the same as the previous years, it is quite a bit more powerful, that from a stop or a roll they will easily pull away from previous DOHCs. I can't swear that this is true, but he assured me it was.
I know I've pulled hard on other SLs and earlier bases in mine, but I attributed that to tuning.

He says thay are closer to 250HP at the crank than 222, but leaving the rating alone kept the insurance levels the same and caused less confusion.

Someone needs to dyno a stock '99 DOHC and find out.

4,448 Posts
the '97+ model got precats for the non turbos. that's how they lost 5 HP.

spirit, there are some cars which are factory freaks. i raced a '94 base (sean29er) and he was dead even with me even tho i had an exhaust, intake, and pulley compared to only his filter. maybe his is better balanced than mine is, by a couple thousandths.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts