Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, I have a 95 3000gt with the two tweeter set up in dash. Both are toast. I cannot find any replacement tweeter that fits.

The magnet base is 2". The dash opening is 3" at the surface to accept the mesh grill cover, and just under that is 2 3/4. The magnet on the speaker is 2" across

Crutchfield fitment online showed they have what fits but it was a 1" tweeter on delivery, so I returned it.

Original speaker is an "Infinity MR7515 93 Front" with the Mits logo on the label. I sent a message to Infinity to see if they have anything that works, no word back yet.
I also have a 94 Stealth base that has one blown tweeter, not the infinity stereo, same dash size though. I can knock out both cars if I find an easy way to fill those dash holes and not ruin the look.

Thanks for being there, any help much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Most people make an adaptor that mounts in the stock location to hold their new speaker and transfer the old grill to the new setup to maintain the stock aesthetic. I 3d printed mine and popped in some speakers very similar to stock. Don't think I had any replies to my thread about it.

The factory speaker is a full range driver, not a dedicated tweeter btw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Infinity amp was blown out. a friend put in a new head unit, 500 watts, took out the dead Infinity amp, figured I still had enough to push the rest of the speaker and the dash units. Apparently we don't have to wire the cross overs since we are running straight from the head unit. So the rest of the new speakers sound great, meaning I don't care about going up beyond a tweeter level in the dash. Forty years of chainsawing, I can only hear so much anyway.

So.......what speaker model and manufacturer did you use? I could make the straps/cradle, etc. and take the old speaker mesh off to make it look OEM.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You'll end up with funky ohm loading running 6 speakers on your 4 channel head unit. You might get away with running the door and dash speakers in series and biasing the fader to the front to balance the front and rear stages.
The speakers I used are unbranded for oem use, can't tell you much about them. Since you're already aftermarket I'd recommend getting a component set of speakers that'll run well on head unit power and mounting the tweeter in the dash with an adaptor ring and the grill from your blown stock speakers.

I don't know of a head unit that puts out anywhere near 500 watts. 15-25 watts RMS are much more likely numbers. Don't get suckered in by peak power numbers, they're meaningless. RMS is the rating you want to go by and those numbers are generally exaggerated unless you picked an honest brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice, I am new to all of this but love my old Mits. I suspected there would be a power supply problem with 6, so far at 4 it sounds good. I will see about adding the aux. amp or just chuck it and enjoy what I hear now. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Thanks to 3Si for being there for us all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts