Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm really big on making mods look like they were part of the original car's design (I like subtlety).

So here's the idea I had:

Has anyone tried replacing the stock boost gauge with a more accurate aftermarket gauge of the same size? Obviously, its probably not just a simple bolt-in swap, but is there anything that would make it prohibitively expensive (I would expect some custom fabrication)? It would be really trick to have a boost gauge there that was actually useful. Swap out the boost gauge and get matching gauges for the rest, and it'd look almost stock.

·
*Insert Evil Laughter*
3,141 Posts
I plan on doing this at some point.. Probably another person can give you the best info.. but I just tore the dash apart to put indiglo gauge faces in.. and you could saw the gauge cluster (because all three gauges are attached by plastic) to free the boost area and find the right sized gauge and find a way to attach it.. I don't think it would be terribly difficult if you have patience to have your interior a war zone for a couple of days. Hope this helps. I like the idea

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's been doen a few times with Greddy gauges. It is a huge pain in the ass to get the guages in, you have to do all three. It's not a bolt-up b/c all the stock gauges are hardwired to the circut board. You would have to remove all the gauges, remove the circut board, and re-wire three new electrical guages. It will never look like stock b/c all the aftermarket guages are larger than the stock gauge size.

Just my 2 cents

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
It is not required to do all 3. I have a VDO vac-boost gauge in the stock location. It took me about 2 hours of modding the housing to make it work, and I could probably do it again in an hour.

I wanted to take pics of the entire process but the best I can do is a writeup, at least until I do another car. There are a few tips I have to make it go quicker. When I have the time I'll write out the procedure and put it on my website.

I guess I need to make an actual site now that I've actually got info to share.

·
*Insert Evil Laughter*
3,141 Posts
When you get that info up some day.. e-mail me and let me know.. It is a Future project.. so no rush... sounds good though.. I knew it could be done semi easily :)

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good, and thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts