Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

im gonna be more careful who i race....

2K views 68 replies 16 participants last post by  4u2nv 
#1 ·
my 3kgt is in the shop, so i was driving my moms eclipse gt auto. i went "cruising" :rolleyes: with some friends and we pull up along side this new red impala full of kids. they are staring at us so i take of fast on green(well as fast as that slow eclipse can go). now, there are like 3 lights in a row that change one right after another, but sadly not fast enough. apparently the punk ass kids thought they should've won and at the next light i go through but on the last light it was still red. and they're pissed off now cuz i beat them so they decided to throw money out the window at my mom's car! :) money in the form of half full beer cans! :mad: god i was torqued. luckily the car was not harmed so i could laugh cuz they threw cash out the window.

and i was going in the two lane and pull up to the light next to this tinted black older bonneville. i see the dreaded (for an auto eclipse gt, anyway) SSEi SUPERCHARGED badge on the side. damn. but it was an older guy in the driver's seat with a kid in the passenger so i take off slowly from the light, not realizing that he wanted to race. but he took off slowly then mashed it. that thing was peelin' going 25. i was pretty impressed.

later i pull up to the same light. this older cougar pulls up and evidently forgot to put it in neutral, cuz when he reved, he moved. :rolleyes: so i figure "what the hell" and take off on green. amazingly, dead even for a while. :eek: then i start pulling. :D i was pleased.

earlier that night, i was behind a car and i hear this low grumble/rev and this new body style impala with tint and huge A PERFECT CIRCLE decal on the back window goes by me and behind the car in the other lane. the damn kid didnt even look over. what a bitch. the person in front of me turned so i took off. what a riceboy i am! :rolleyes:

over all a pretty good night. DAMN PUNK ASS KIDS!!!!

[edit: car i was in: 2001 Eclipse GT Spyder Sportronic]

See less See more
#3 ·
Hollywood what kind of track numbers do you put up on the spray?

Good races, but unless you have a VR4 then I don't know why you are calling the GT slow because even in auto form they run with base pre97s and SLs. The 5 speed will beat them so don't dog on them too bad. 97+ they embarrass so a monte carlo isnt that impressive I figured you win so....good job.

#4 ·
VRMAN said:
Hollywood what kind of track numbers do you put up on the spray?
I tried to go to Firebird raceway here in Boise to get some slips, but since I got the two 15lb bottles and no outside blowoffs they wouldnt let me run. So I did the next best thing; I have a friend with a 13.5 sec Camaro he and I raced on an acess road in Baker city Oregon. I lost the first race to him pretty bad. I hit my switch right off the bat and peeled out for 50-60 feet. But I took him in the second race, by at least 25 feet. It was a hot day and I got really good grip on the second run, he spun for 10 feet.

So to awnser your question, no track #'s just some good kill's.

#5 ·
Nice runs man but I hate to say it man but an Eclipse GT is pretty much even with a DOHC 3000GT/Stealth. Auto for Auto it would be close but 5-speed for 5-speed the 3k would take it. ;)

#6 ·
4u2nv said:
Nice runs man but I hate to say it man but an Eclipse GT is pretty much even with a DOHC 3000GT/Stealth. Auto for Auto it would be close but 5-speed for 5-speed the 3k would take it. ;)
mmm....no. The 5 speed GT runs 15.1 out of the box. The DOHC Stealth/3KGT is a 15.5 car stock. These numbers are a collective, there is an eclipse GT with just an intake running 14.7 and WICKEDDREW runs fast for his car too but realistically the Eclipse GT 5 speed is faster than the DOHC 3S. I raced a 94 SL with a cat back exaust system, and RPS Stage1 clutch 5spd. against my daily driver GT with just over 500 miles on it and beat the SL from a stop to 75 by a car and a half and from a roll by a car length. I got it on video and also got the SL on video running a 2001 Grand AM. But anyways the point was that the Eclipse GT stock to stock is faster than the DOHC NA GTs. <---- thats alot of letters.

#8 ·
I must say that it has to do with the car and the driver man. When I went to the track up here their were 3 Eclipse GT's and one GS. The Eclipse GT's were all pulling 15.5's to 15.7's. No one got lower than a 15.5. They were all 5-speed cuz I was talking to them for about a good 15 mins. They kept on asking me to go with them but my ATX just couldnt cut it. HEHE:D But I guess we all have seen different things. ;)

#9 ·
Antilles said:
WHAT??? an eclipse GT running 14.7 with only intake?

man, i would have to launch the hell out of my TSI AWD to get 14.7 with just intake, and i seriously doubt a GT eclipse can hang with my car, see my post about the V8 Trans AM.
Antilles you switched senarios in mid sentence. First you said it would be hard for you to get a 14.7 with just intake then you said you doubt an Eclipse GT could hang with you. Well, no one cant hang with you NOW, you have a 16G turbo and other goodies, but if you just had intake then to this particular GT you might have lost. But still, put a good driver in a GT and it will consistently run low 15s compared to a stock 3k which is mostly mid 15s. Im not saying the Eclipse will BURN the DOHC but it will usually win, unmodded.

#10 ·
i'm calling the gt slow because...it is. it doesnt pull nearly as hard as my 3k. it is friggin weak. dont tell me i'm wrong because i drive it and you dont. i never raced a monte carlo either. and i knew i would beat every damn car i raced becuz they all sucked. cept for that damned bonneville. hehe, it's not my fault. it was supercharged dang it. and if my mom's car is running mid 15's then my car must be deep into the 9's because the eclipse that i drive is hella slow. btw, i have a 5 speed 3kgt and the eclipse is sportronic. i know that even the sportronic isnt the same thing as a manual, but it is so dang weak. you would think so too if you rode in it. but luckily i'll have my car back tomorrow.

#11 ·
You drive it and I don't huh? I own an Eclipse GT. And it is a 5 spd. and I'll bet that I can run even/ beat any stock DOHC 3000GT. One of my good friends has an SL and Ive beaten him and he isn't stock. I also own a VR4 so I know both cars. And don't let the catchy name fool you, a sporttronic GT is just an automatic GT with a nice shifting feature but its still an auto. Driving both a 5spd Eclipse GT and a 5spd base 3 thousand you couldn't tell me that the DOHC pulls harder or is much faster because it just isn't. 93300 run your moms GT against your car and ill bet if you don't lie that the race will be fairly close.

#12 ·
OK, i will try and go drive one today before I go and say the 5-spd's are slow, but i dont think the eclipse has enough torque to burn off the line like a base 3K GT.
I went from a 70 roll against one and i left it like a honda civic dx. now, my car is modded to run low 14's, but thats rediculous. i pulled about 8-10 lengths before i hit 100.

#13 ·
3G Eclipse GT 5 speeds are not slow, for what they are. The autos may suffer, but the 5 speeds are mid to low 15 second cars (with good drivers). I know... I just raced one 4 times at the track last weekend in my auto GSX.

I have a few mods done to my GSX (as listed in my sig.) along with yanking the hoses off my boost control solenoid to give me max boost. I lost 3 out of 4 races to the Eclipse GT (all it has was a drop in K&N air filter... not even a cone). I pulled a best time of 15.539 @ 86.06 to his best time of 15.782 @ 90.12. This was his first time ever to the track, so I know that with a little more practice he is going to get it down to the 15.5 and faster mark. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his trap speed up to 92 MPH or faster with just more practice.

I would not call the Eclipse GT slow. It's faster than our SOHC models and will hold it's own vs. our DOHC cars stock for stock. I did not see it get weighed, but he said it was in the 3,100 lbs. range. If that's true then it has a weight advantage going for it, too. Just something to keep in mind. Oh, and his is the CA model, so it's rated at lower HP than the normal Eclipse GT (his words, not mine... I have no idea).

And I was so sure I was going to beat him. It sucks to get trounced by a car that you were sure was going to be an easy kill!

#14 ·
VRMAN said:

mmm....no. The 5 speed GT runs 15.1 out of the box. The DOHC Stealth/3KGT is a 15.5 car stock. These numbers are a collective, there is an eclipse GT with just an intake running 14.7 and WICKEDDREW runs fast for his car too but realistically the Eclipse GT 5 speed is faster than the DOHC 3S. I raced a 94 SL with a cat back exaust system, and RPS Stage1 clutch 5spd. against my daily driver GT with just over 500 miles on it and beat the SL from a stop to 75 by a car and a half and from a roll by a car length. I got it on video and also got the SL on video running a 2001 Grand AM. But anyways the point was that the Eclipse GT stock to stock is faster than the DOHC NA GTs. <---- thats alot of letters.
Thats weird - i've raced 3 eclipse gt's (2 manual, 1 automatic) and i've walked them all. pretty bad actually. and i just got beat by a friend's rsx type s over the weekend. go figure.

#16 ·
jon3k said:

. and i just got beat by a friend's rsx type s over the weekend. go figure.
Damn 15.6 RSX Type S. LOL...but dont worry about it track times dont matter on the street in my opinion. :D One day you might be having a better day than the next, also your car might be performing better that day than what it was previously.

#17 ·
VRMAN said:
You drive it and I don't huh? I own an Eclipse GT. And it is a 5 spd. and I'll bet that I can run even/ beat any stock DOHC 3000GT. One of my good friends has an SL and Ive beaten him and he isn't stock. I also own a VR4 so I know both cars. And don't let the catchy name fool you, a sporttronic GT is just an automatic GT with a nice shifting feature but its still an auto. Driving both a 5spd Eclipse GT and a 5spd base 3 thousand you couldn't tell me that the DOHC pulls harder or is much faster because it just isn't. 93300 run your moms GT against your car and ill bet if you don't lie that the race will be fairly close.

dont accuse me of lying. the race wont even be anywhere near close. i just knew you would come back with the ol' "i have one" line, but the truth is, you dont. my mom's is a AUTOMATIC HEAVY CONVERTABLE!!!!! not a light 5 speed coupe!!!! i never said the 5 speeds were slow. i am saying that the slowest of all the gt's (the fully loaded auto convertable) is damned slow compared to my car! dont flame me just because you dont read closely enough to notice such details as the transmission and ragtop. and i said i know that the sportronic is basically useless since if you floor it w/o sportronic mode on, it shifts basically at the redline anyway. i guess you forgot to read that part too. my mom's car has to weigh the same as mine if not more than mine with all the features, and i have more power and a 5 speed. :rolleyes:

#18 ·
first of all, i would love to see the 14.7 timeslip of an eclipse gt with an intake. THAT IS BULLSHIT!!! Yes i am calling you a liar. Lets see... new eclipse gt is rated at 200-210 hp, weighs in at 3200 lbs, dohc 3si 222 hp weighs in at 3250 lbs? Does that make sense? Yes that is a rhetorical question. But im sure just because your eclipse gt is your daily driver that it can do 14.7s at the track.

#19 ·
I have to agree with donny 92, that there's no way in stock form with equal drivers that a 3G Eclipse GT is faster than a DOHC 3S N/A. Why? Gee, let's see, same engine, detuned. Weigh about the same. What does that equal? More horsepower wins. Ever stop to think that maybe you are a much better driver than your friend? Maybe his car is in need of a tuneup? Your car is brand new vs. his used. In THEORETICAL BENCH RACING form, a DOHC N/A will beat an eclipse 3g.

#20 ·
First off Donny you stupid mother fucker read the thread you mongloid fuck. I didn't say that MY eclipse ran a 14.7, there is AN Eclipse that ran a 14.7 with intake. Don't believe me? Go suck yourself, maybe you don't believe that WICKEDDREW runs mid 14s with his basically stock RT.

93300, I didn't call you a liar you talentless retard, I said if you don't lie about it, race your moms GT against your 3K. I say it would be closer than you think not that you would get smoked moron. But if you want to bring your tough guy shit down to Southern Cali Ill wax you in the VR or I can make you a believer about the Eclipse GT.

#21 ·
blkstealth said:
Why? Gee, let's see, same engine, detuned. Weigh about the same. What does that equal? More horsepower wins.

That arguement doesn't fly. Lets see: Eclipse GSX/T 2 less cylinders, 15 less horsepower and basically the same weight but they will beat the DOHC base models. GSX runs 14.9 and a GST runs a 15 flat. A good half second faster than the average DOHC Stealth. Dont try to argue that the base will consistently beat a GSX or GST in the quarter b/c they don't. And if the DSM crowd comes in they can attest to the 3gen Eclipse running low 15s at the track. I've seen 2000 Eclipses at the track stock or with intake and exaust running 15.2 and 15 flat. Slowest one was 15.4 so unless you've driven one or have seen one at the track don't talk your ignorant spew because its based on opinion, Im basing it on actual performance.

#23 ·
Okay, you called me a liar and a statement of mine BULLSHIT. To me that is as insulting as me calling you a mongloid fuck. You don't know me so don't be an asshole , try showing some class. Like I said, you don't believe an eclipse ran a 14.7, so Ill bet you don't believe DREW either huh?

And calling me a troll? HA we have almost the same number of posts and Ive contributed here for almost a year, my VR4 is in the garage, wheres yours? Just because I think you are an ignorant, unable to read a thread correctly, disrespectful old fuck doesn't make me a troll, I post plenty of informative content but in responding to you I am not, just pointing out a prick, don't call me a liar unless you can prove it pal.

#24 ·
Well what I think VRMAN is trying to say is that 1 particular Eclipse GT ran a 14.7 with just intake and that is perfectly believible cuz our own Drew runs 14.5's basically stock. I am willing to believe you man but in the experiences that I have seen no Eclipse GT has passed 15.5 and one of them had intake and exhaust from what I can tell. The others were bone stock. But that is what I saw so that is the only thing I can say. ;)

#26 ·
Here's the link to the thread on Club3g about the guy running mid 14's:

http://www.neweclipseforums.org/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000671.html

And whoever said they Eclipse GT can't roast the tires like a DOHC 3/S is WRONG! My girfriend has a 2000 RS 5 speed that will roast 1st gear all day long and lay a few feet of rubber powershifting 2nd. I'm sure if the base model RS can light em up, the GT could do it with little effort...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.