Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was summoned for the first time to have an Illinois emissions test for my 93 Stealth base. I was really interested in how these tests are conducted. Also, I have a K&N Aircharger installed. Will they open the hood for the test? Can big brother do something if he doesn't like the K&N. Does anyone know if this will be good or bad for emission readings. Many thanks. As an aside I received the notice for my test which was supposed to be completed by 12/4 on 12/24. I am amazed at how government can grow itself and spend inordinate resources on crap when they allow serious problems to fester. (Sorry for the editorial)

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
> I received the notice for my test which was supposed to be completed by 12/4 on 12/24.

Well, whatever you do, don't live in a cabin in Idaho, otherwise the FBI will murder your wife and baby and shoot your dog, and then blame you.

S

·
0 Posts
I recently had an IL emissions test on one of my other cars -- a real POS that was spouting blue smoke and rumblin' bumblin' stumblin'. The test was over in 30 seconds, passed with flying colors.

Keep in mind that this was on a real piece -- a gorgeous 3K car will likely pass with no problems.

They hook a hose up to the exhaust to keep from asphyxiating everyone in the shop and take their readings, then run your car up to like 60 mph on a set of roller bearings. Then they stop, give you your results and you're on your way.

If you have a K&N, it shouldn't matter because (a) they don't look at your engine and (b) it's legal in all 50 states, if I'm not mistaken.

Enjoy!

SC92SL
3Si#300

[This message has been edited by SC92SL (edited December 27, 1999).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts