Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IHI VF22

has anybody used these yet and do we have any dyno numbers from these?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump!

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
yeah

ill bump that again i guess...maybe someone will see this. i know a few people already have them on their cars, including don.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DON!!!

THEY DO?! DON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! INFO PLEASE!!!

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
yeah

i was talking to brian reilly at gtpro last year around january or so and they were installing a kit on someones car. i also asked brian lafuente about the kit and he said it wasnt worth the price...or something to that affect, but i dont want to misinform, so i guess they should come out and tell us whats up.

chris

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SCREW IT! get the DSM adapter and strap on 2 20g's...

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
turbos

20G x 2 = 2 much lag

me and devilmanVISA have been asking questions about these turbos since my 7th birthday

can somebody do things?

chris

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Here is what we found...

Spool-up?? rather poor, 3500rpm's to see 8psi.

Build quality? poor.. If you are going internal wastegate, you will have to cut and re weld the bracket that holds the actuator bracket, and also rotate the comp. housing. The front intercooler pipe smashes the top rad. hose about 1 1/2", not good.. I/C pipes fit terribly, nothing bolted straight up, and , many brackets were VERY far off, and could not be bolted down. Headers have port blockage which is not good and poor materials (unknown stainlees steel) not graded such as 304 or 321. The oil feed and drain lines were a complete joke.. They were made from copper tubing spray painted with oiling orafices that looked like a pinhole. I/C piping has no beadrolls and fit very poor, we're afraid to really crank the boost in fear of blowing pipes off.

HP? I feel many of our other TD04 guys would smoke a VF22 car..

Comp wheel size? smaller than a 357 mag. wheel.

All in all we were VERY VERY dissapointed with the kit to say the least.

Oh, and to top it of, the turbos supplied? they are USED, not rebuilt, not new, but flat out used. Both turbos did NOT spin freely, and one was really sticky, our standard bearing turbos spun more freely.

Take our review for what it is, a first hand experiance with the use/install.

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
finally...

thanks bri

would you recommend TD05H small 16Gs over 368s, price irrelevant?

i know the 368s are your product, but tell me what you think about the comparison.

chris

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
also...

RoVR4 once said he could get TD05 ball bearing turbos...

has anyone heard of this? supposedly through Turbonetics he couldve gotten them, but not anymore.

whats up with that

chris

·
AEM Veteran
2,061 Posts
Re: finally...

93V said:
thanks bri

would you recommend TD05H small 16Gs over 368s, price irrelevant?

i know the 368s are your product, but tell me what you think about the comparison.

chris
If you're going to go with TD05s, go with 14Bs or big 16Gs. The 14Bs look like they'll actually provide more air to the engine than 15Gs! The small 16g offers little to no gain over the 15G. The big 16G looks well suited to BIG (25-30 PSI!) boost.

Check out the compressor flow maps in the Garage section on Jeff Lucius's site: www.stealth316.com

- Brian....anxiously awaiting adapter plates to bolt up 14Bs.

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
how do you figure

how do you figure that small 16Gs wont be a lot better than 15Gs? not attacking, just ignorant and if it lies within the flow map, i need to learn how to read those better.

it may not matter, but they flow a lot more than 15Gs

chris

·
AEM Veteran
2,061 Posts
I'm not going to give a primer on how to read compressor maps here; Jeff gives a very thorough expaination on his site.

Suffice it to say that you can't evaluate a turbo based on "CFM" as people on this board seem to like to do. The amount of air a turbo will compress depends not only on the speed of the compressor wheel, but also on the pressure it must push against. Because of this, a turbo will behave differently on a 2L engine (ie Eclipse) than it will on a 1.5L engine (half a 3/S).

It's a long and involved explaination - if you're really interested read Jeff's great page:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm

If you want the short and sweet version, skip to the near the bottom of the page where he lists "Flow Maps with Modified Engine Demand Lines". On each of these maps, Jeff has overlayed the behavior for a theoretical modified 3/S engine.

Bigger, as it turns out, is not necessarily better for our application. According to his calculations, the turbos can hold the following boosts to redline:
- 15G can hold 20 PSI to redline
- 14B can hold 25 PSI
- Small 16G can hold around 23 PSI
I addition, the 14B provides better midrange boost than either turbo as well. All this makes the 14B actually better than the 15G or small 16G for our engine.

It may be counter-intuitive, but that's the way the math works out. I think as we see more people playing with TD05 turbos, we'll see this in real world results.

- Brian

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
hmm

so i guess that just leaves me with 368sx turbos as a choice...unless someone can find me more info on the TD05 ball bearing turbos that turbonetics supposedly could get.

then big 16G and 18G would be hanging around

1 - 20 of 70 Posts