Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you bore .070 over, and get the matching pistons, how much are you displacing now?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Hey, my engine is bored .067 over. This is how it was described when i bought it (i'm not 100% sure if its accurate)
Parts include JE Forged pistons ( bore out to 3.067 equal to a 3.2 liter motor).

Jeff Lucious would be the man to help you out here.

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok word, so i guess .070 over is just a hair over 3.2L then..

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Jeez can't you guys do 8-th grade math?

A 0.075" overbore in our engine results in a 3100 cc displacement. My 0.050" overbore gave a 3056 cc displacement. Stock displacement is 2972 cc. Even the extra 128 cc of the 3.1 L is only a 4.3 percent increase in size, or a 4.3 % HP increase (13 HP). Almost meaningless really. If you're looking for power look for it in boost not displacement.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Jeff Lucius said:
Jeez can't you guys do 8-th grade math?

A 0.075" overbore in our engine results in a 3100 cc displacement. My 0.050" overbore gave a 3056 cc displacement. Stock displacement is 2972 cc. Even the extra 128 cc of the 3.1 L is only a 4.3 percent increase in size, or a 4.3 % HP increase (13 HP). Almost meaningless really. If you're looking for power look for it in boost not displacement.
It's pretty damn hard to get these motors bored out to more than 3.1 L. If you can get it to 3.2 L your pretty much a loser with no time and an endless amount of money.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Freak Show said:

It's pretty damn hard to get these motors bored out to more than 3.1 L. If you can get it to 3.2 L your pretty much a loser with no time and an endless amount of money.
Why is that? It doesn't cost any more to bore it to 3.2L than it woudl to 3.1 There aren't the same piston options, but boring out the block wouldn't cost any more...

I beleive you can actually bore out .90 and still be okay, I wouldn't call it a reliable daily driver, but for a race car it'd work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts