Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'92 Stealth ES

I too thought that my idle speed was 500 RPM,
because it looks to be right in the middle of
0 and 1000. If you look at the gauge closely,
you'll see that the idle is actually around
700 RPM because the gauge does not start at
0, it starts at 300 or 400. There is a longer
tick near the bottom that represents 500 RPM.

Cheers

·
Registered
208 Posts
91 stealth es 222 hp automatic.
Since I got it with 20k miles it has always idled warmed up in drive smack in the middle of the 0 & 1000 rpm tach lines, that is at 500 rpm. She's never stalled out & I like the low idle speed & very little creeping ahead. Probably helps mpg. She does idle fast when cold.
Is this too low an idle speed when warmed up? Can it do damage? Could there even be too low oil pressure at idle? There are no clicks at 61k miles.

·
Registered
334 Posts
John,
This may be a bit off, but, I have noticed that the factory tach. on my car seems to have a little bit of a lag/delay in it. For an example, I have an APEXi AVC-R2 boost controller and one of the monitors is for RPM, which uses the RPM signal (in my case)and on the digital readout it shows near instant calculation of RPM, versus the analog tach. on the factory stock dash which seems to have a delay in response. So, I think maybe the low idle RPM maybe showing a little off or like John said it's probably near 700 RPM where it seems most of our cars sit and it's just hard to read a correct value because it seems it's not at zero RPM on the first tick.

Mario 94 VR-4

[This message has been edited by VR-4 Tissimo (edited January 17, 2000).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.