Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SOHC model. I put intrax springs with kyb's front and rear. The back is ok but the front seems to high for me. WHen i installed them i didn't torque down the top bolts all the way. And someone told me not to use vise grips to hold the rod while tightening (thats the problem now) because it will cause a leak. Do you think its worth tightening all 4 bolts all the way down. I probably have to take each one out. Here is a pic of the front and rear bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the rear shock

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
I lowered my tt 2.7 inches. It is LOW. I only lowered it in teh front because I like the "hot rod" look. Kinda like the vipers and vettes. I diddint torque mine at all. I just used a 19mm socket and tightened it as hard as I could.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the eibach pro-kit on my car. It did lower it some, but there is still about another half inch or so of gap i would like to reduce. If i just tighten those nuts down, will that lower my car even more?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I could. It depends if you have it tightened all the way already or not. it should be though. But what it does is tighten the bolt and pull the strut closer together. There by lowering it. I have a eibachs too. I pulled them off because I couldn't even tell that they were on. It looked the same to me.

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
I agree with you starfish on the "hotrod" look. I lowered with Intrax and hated how the back seemed to sag below the front. The next day, I got an alignment shop to put coil supports to raise the back. I am now very happy with the ride and look.

·
3/S Addict
1,561 Posts
$moKEY - I put on my Intrax's yesterday (pain in the ass to put on). Your back looks like its tightened fine, but I would tighten that front more than you have shown.

By the way....when you first put springs on they are NOT going to be as low as they will be after they have been on for a few weeks. You must give them time to settle. After a few weeks they will be noticably lower than when you first put them on.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
HOTTT

WOW...holyshit man..your car is HOOOOOOTTTTTTTT. Wow. One of the best 3k I have seen around. By far. DAMN YELLOW. HHEHE. Also great job matching the tints with the color. Seems better than the original limo tints.:)

·
SOHC MONSTER
225 Posts
i have a base and i'm having probs too. when i look at the spring it looks like all of the coils are bunched up at the top and then the last one is open wide. is that right

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stealth4092 said:
i have a base and i'm having probs too. when i look at the spring it looks like all of the coils are bunched up at the top and then the last one is open wide. is that right
ya thats how mine is too ...

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
WOW...holyshit man..your car is HOOOOOOTTTTTTTT. Wow. One of the best 3k I have seen around. By far. DAMN YELLOW. HHEHE. Also great job matching the tints with the color. Seems better than the original limo tints.
Thanks for the compliment;) I like the tint because it matches the chrome wheels well. I would also think black would look good on the yellow background, but I am happy with how it sits right now.

·
Vroooooooooom!
293 Posts
Hey quickvr4,
How much did you get your hks dual turbo exhaust for?Thanks.

·
Registered
856 Posts
stealth4092 said:
Thats how springs are designed, and those distances determine the spring rate (if i'm not mistaken). Yes, the coils should be farther apart.

.jon

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ground Control

I still think that ground control coilovers with eibach springs give a 3/S the best look, but thats just my 2 cents!

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
Hey quickvr4,
How much did you get your hks dual turbo exhaust for?Thanks.
I got it from a shop in Texas that was going out of business. They only charged me around $450 including shipping. The retail is usually around $750+. There is a thread right now with a guy selling his used HKS exhaust, but it may be gone already.

HKS thread

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My mechanic said if I use vise grips to hold the rod while loosening it with impact wrench I could break the seal and the shock/strut could start leaking. But im thinking if i wrapped a cloth around the rod then held it with vise grips it would be ok. I think he just wants to do it so he can make some $$$ off me. What do you think?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can anyone give their opinion on this last post??

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey smokey.

I think that is true. I have heard of that one before, and you also could break the top(with our strut, I have heard of breaking the top part, and I did it to my own, 300 dollar more repair)

just take it off without the impact.

Why don't you just do it manually?

where do you live in Van? I live in Burnaby

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live in surrey. I tried to do it manually . I took out the strut. And compressed the spring and tried to tighten it but the piston rod was moving with it.

·
SOHC MONSTER
225 Posts
smokey did you cut your bump stops

my car sits high w/intrax
i'm thinking if i cut the bumpstops that my springs will sit lower eventually because of the more travel being put on them. any ideas??

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts