Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why is it that most turbo (and/or import) people are usually willing to race for fun, but domestic owners almost always want to race for money? Especially if the race is domestic vs import? Seriously, has anybody ever noticed this?

You can get a whole bunch of twin or single turbo people together and they will just go out and run the cars for the hell of it. Hell, they don't even have to be turbo'd. Most import people just like to race for the hell of it. However, involve some domestics in the equation and money becomes involved. Now, I am not trying to say that all domestic owners are like this, but this is just something that I have noticed in the majority of cases.

Anyone know why this is? Seriously. Maybe it is the type of people involved or maybe it is a domestic vs import mentality? I really dunno. Perhaps domestic owners feel that they have more to prove? Just throwing this out here for discussion...

(Btw, I have my own theories on this, but will keep them to myself...;) )

-b

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Hrmm, interesting..

I'd say because most import owners:
A) are 16 and own a riced out civic that daddy bought and racing is just "fun"
B) are middle aged and own a $50k Turbo luxury car and have osme money to burn
*edit* (since I fit in here too!)
C) Are young and have to work their ass off for their expensive car and can't afford to risk any cash :D

Most Domestic Owners:
A) Are 16 and bought their own "muscle car" and are always short on money for parts
B) are middle aged and finally saved up for a muscle car and are still short on money for parts...

just my 2 cents, not trying to say ALL domestic/import owners ;)

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
what happened to C?....
C. 19 and works his ass off so he can have a VR4 along with the slow ass truck?

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
domestics race for money cuz each time they race, something breaks... so they need funds to fix it? :confused:

or.. they're callin bluff since most ppl dont like to race for money... they can hide their slow domestics under their bluff... :confused:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with you 91vr4n00Maxima, I am 18 and i pay off my car, 95 r/t by my self and i have a some what fast truck that is has been beatened the crap out of.

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AmkreadGTO said:
domestics race for money cuz each time they race, something breaks... so they need funds to fix it? :confused:

I like that theory... :)

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
Maybe most of the people (non-denominational here) that say they want to put money on a race know that most people don't wanna race for cash... Easy way out for them, and still be able to save face....

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Betting money is hardly the easy way out.

We live in a capitalist society, and money talks. If import owners doubt the veracity of domestic owners' claims, they need only put up the cash and race. If the domestic owners are lying, they will soon go broke and shut up. If the domestic owners are telling the truth, they will make lots of money and the import owners will shut up.

The system will soon enough reach equalibrium.

We've been drag racing since at least 1946, and I suspect that the system reached equalibrium long ago, and that the domestic owners are probably telling the truth.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
91vr4n00maxima said:
what happened to C?....
C. 19 and works his ass off so he can have a VR4 along with the slow ass truck?
Okay, I edited it since I fit in that catagory myself...not 19, but not much older! :eek:

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Sterotypes..

I can't believe some of the stupid ass responses this thread his accumulated so far...

Andrew Caple said:

We live in a capitalist society, and money talks. If import owners doubt the veracity of domestic owners' claims, they need only put up the cash and race. If the domestic owners are lying, they will soon go broke and shut up. If the domestic owners are telling the truth, they will make lots of money and the import owners will shut up.

I couldn't agree with you more, Andrew.

And on the contrary, most of the assholes I've come across racing were 'import' owners...

·
2,248 Posts
I think domestic owners have somewhat of a superioirty complex. They've had it beaten into their heads since they were small children that "Mustangs are FAST!", "Camaros are FAST!" and so forth and so on... so when someone with- gasp!- an import challenges them they feel "superior" and fail to ackowledge that they could lose to a V-6 japanese rice import.

Why not take a gamble on it? In their minds it's a sure win... how could the muscle car that has been considered fast since the owner was little more than sperm be beaten by some import with less than 10 years of development? It's just not conceivable.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Aerosly7 said:
I think domestic owners have somewhat of a superioirty complex. They've had it beaten into their heads since they were small children that "Mustangs are FAST!", "Camaros are FAST!" and so forth and so on... so when someone with- gasp!- an import challenges them they feel "superior" and fail to ackowledge that they could lose to a V-6 japanese rice import.

Why not take a gamble on it? In their minds it's a sure win... how could the muscle car that has been considered fast since the owner was little more than sperm be beaten by some import with less than 10 years of development? It's just not conceivable.
:rolleyes:
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts