Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95' VR4 and it is completely stock right now and I want to start getting everything I need to make 350-400 awhp from the stock block. Its almost at 100,000 miles and i've done all the maintenance. What should I get to start tuning the car???

·
Registered
1991 VR4
902 Posts
You wont make it to 400 or probably even 350 with stock turbos and fuel system. I would suggest start with basic bolts and see enjoy the car for a bit, then decide how much money you want to spend.

Gut precats, install a test pipe, get a good DP, and keep stock catback. Install a boost controller, a wideband, and a way to monitor knock, then turn up the boost a bit. That will be a significant increase over stock while keeping it simple. Probably hotwire fuel pump and/or get aftermarket and crank up fuel pressure with a AFPR if you want to push stock injectors so you can keep stock ECU.

Pushing to 400 wheel you will need everything above plus turbos, fuel pump, injectors, piggyback or standalone to tune, etc. The list grows significantly. I would avoid chasing a number and just get the car to where it is fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
What I had :
-15g
-supra fuel pump+hotwire
-550cc injectors
-safc
-boost controler
-K&N filter
-----------------------------
good to have
  • AF Wideband
  • scanmaster 3 (monitor knock)
that is all you need to turn boost to cca 18psi and get 400awhp

If you put exhaust and bigger intercooler, it will be even better......but dont forget to get beter clutch, if you want to race .....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yep, basically need turbos. 15g, dr650. maybe 13g's with e85 and alcohol will get you there, or close, but they will be maxed. The thing is you can do your fuel system mods, boost controller, a/f monitoring, and set everything up so when you are ready you can buy injectors and turbos and youll be set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts