Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not a hype thread but figured I'd share my journey and updates.

For those that don't remember me, I owned this car from 2003-2008. At the time ran a shop, LSE Performance, and did a bunch of 3s stuff back in the day. This car was a test mule (mostly dyno) and didn't do much at the track impressive ([email protected] on 92 octane, [email protected] on C-16). I sold it when the shop closed in 2008.

The last photos I had of it.

Life happens and moves on. However in late 2020 I spotted this exact car for sale on 3si. I was currently campaigning a 1999 FRC corvette (head/cam/nitrous/TR6060 car). After discussing the "Unfinished business" with the wife I hatched a plan to reacquire this car. Guy I sold it to held onto it for 12 years and never assembled it.

Here is picking it up in February of 2021 with a few good buddies that helped build it.

Mind you. When I first owned this car I lived in Minnesota. This car was in Wisconsin....did I mention I live now in the middle of East Texas? Yes I drove ~2400 miles round trip to get this car back.

Fast forward to September of 2021 when I got the shop built for it. (after building my wife's barn, I "inherited" the 24x30 lean to).

Start:

Few months later...December of 2021.

At this time I was still thinking 6g72 Auto build. After some discussions and some research decided to get back to another motor setup I know very well, 4g. So over the course of late 2021 and early 2022 I've sold off all the 6g72 stuff. Keeping the BOV I had on the old setup and of course the car with the 10 point cage.

Where are we at now?

I've got nearly all the 4g swap stuff here. Mounts, axles, and other oddities needed to make it happen. Just need to assemble a motor and transmission, get them in the chassis, and start the plumbing game.

Motor:
4g63. 1/2 filled. ARP mains, .040" over. 6 bolt. O ringed. This was a backup race motor my friend pushed around 900ish through years ago on a Carrillo rod/cp piston setup. Spun it to around 10.5k. No oil squirters, yadda yadda...nothing to crazy. Block was freshened up and is ready to roll.
Clean non cut 6 bolt crank.
In the mail:
FFWD Aluminum Rods "Vader" 2.0. Standard stuff, nothing exotic. 150mm length 22mm pin
Wiesco 86mm 1400HD Pistons
ACL Bearings
Next steps: Balance, Mag crank, assemble.

Head is a pretty well worked over 6 bolt head. Has oversized valves. Got it for a deal from my buddy I got the block from. Need to order and install springs/retainers, new seals, lap some valves, and send it. Bolt to motor with some L19's and drop it in. Sourced some straight cut oil pump gears as part of a group buy...so hopefully I'll have a longblock by early December.

Transmission setup is 2g Auto. Basic to start. Welded center diff and diff support saddle, Kiggly 5 friction for OEM basket, 1g in a 2g kit, SFI things required to be safe, IPT end clutch and valve body springs and mods for shifting..etc...nothing too exotic yet.
Trans core is a low mileage GSX, need to tear that down as my Tau Performance Engineering 3 speed conversion kit is here. My t-case brace (Frontline Fab) is in the mail so that'll be it to start.

Pretty basic tuning setup for now, AEM series 1. Found a deal I couldn't pass up. Running a Yoshifab CAS trigger wheel.

In the interim:
Chassis is getting lightened up. Currently pulling any excessive wiring and that is completed through to the A pillars, working from the back.
Co-currently need to drop tank, clean, drop in Hellcat pumps, run new fuel lines -10AN up, -6AN back, and continue to lighten the chassis without to much wallet involvement. I'd like to find a good CF hood but not spend $1000 on it. I'll probably wrap the 5 zigen gold wheels in some Mickey's as I like that look... It'll still have glass and functioning locks/windows. Not a street car at all. No HVAC. Stock dash as it was brand new and I like how it holds my 60mm gauges. Race seat, fully gutted. Eventually I'll start to swap glass for lexan; but let's get some seat time first.

Still need to sort out what cams, finalize turbo (most likely EFR 9174 with V band housing to match manifold), order some injectors, do a pile of assembly, spec a converter, and wrap up some wiring...but finally with enough parts here/on the way felt like sharing. I'll figure out the cams/converter/turbo pieces here Q4 2022 ideally.

I'll start to make updates to this thread as I continue to build on it. Not many pictures here on my PC it appears; need to get better about that and youtube videos.

Goals?
Go faster than before. Have fun. Go rounds. Get a baseline and then make it faster yet. Not get demotivated and rage quit the project :)
All jokes aside, this pig better go single digits eventually as I totally forgot how much effort it takes to build a race car from the ground up. Texas heat doesn't help...I should put AC in the shop.

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is so nice parts like this exist. This came in the mail yesterday!
Here is a fuel pump hat from IMR. Scored it on Facebook marketplace, new in box but not used. This will work with the twin Walbros 285's "Hellcat 525" nicely and I didn't have to hack up a stock sending unit to make it work. The thicker gauge wiring is also a huge bonus.

Reactions: OldMadBrit

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
Yeeesssss!!!

The guy you sold it to kept it in great shape!

Can't wait to see more pics and progress

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeeesssss!!!

The guy you sold it to kept it in great shape!

Can't wait to see more pics and progress
Thanks buddy! Pistons showed up yesterday :). Fuel system components should be here this weekend.

Rods I cannot show pictures of yet until they are released Q1 2023; but I can post short block pictures once that's assembled. Those are a few weeks out. Glad to see you're still here and hopefully still have your VR4. When it's track time we should sync up for old times sake.

This weekends goal:
Wrap up my Jeep project in the shop.
Move construction tools out of shop to shed. This gives me space to get my block and transmission on work areas.
Post some pictures on this thread of the layout and updates.

Wish me luck!

Reactions: AdamVR4 and lawdogg

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
Thanks buddy! Pistons showed up yesterday :). Fuel system components should be here this weekend.

Rods I cannot show pictures of yet until they are released Q1 2023; but I can post short block pictures once that's assembled. Those are a few weeks out. Glad to see you're still here and hopefully still have your VR4. When it's track time we should sync up for old times sake.
Is San Antonio Raceway a rough drive for you? Is there a track you'd prefer?

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is San Antonio Raceway a rough drive for you? Is there a track you'd prefer?
San Antonio is about a 6 hour haul. Beautiful city. I liked Baytown but that's nearly shut down. I need to check out Ennis. The two closest to me are Lufkin (1/4 mile) and cedar creek (1/8 mile). Neither prep that well but will be okay for shakedown tests.

·
Marshall Taylor
1,355 Posts
niterydr,

Good luck getting everything together. It appears your garage/shop is coming along nicely as well. Yes you need A/C in your garage. Working in a comfortable environment helps with the motivation.

·
Science, bitch!
1992 VR4
873 Posts
Cool story and nice build! I’ve been contemplating going the 4G route myself. However, if I ever do, I want to go for more of a fun street cruiser with a/c. My rear turbo upper oil drain gasket is leaking currently…it would be so nice not to have to mess with a rear turbo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
you are going backwards with a smaller motor, iDioT. lol

Glad you are posting the build here!!! Bring back build threads!!

Only complaint is that you aren't doing a FP/Xona turbo. We should talk about that before doing the EFR. ;) Considering he's been doing 4g specific turbos for 25 years, AND sponsors so many good events including Shootout, RaceWeeks and Kevin Jewer's track (the legend of the DSM compound turbos),,,, it's a no brainer to get a turbo from him. Oh, and the record holding 3S ran and FP4580htz. etc etc etc etc etc. Message me. :D

Love to see you back in the game. Legend in my eyes!

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you are going backwards with a smaller motor, iDioT. lol

Glad you are posting the build here!!! Bring back build threads!!

Only complaint is that you aren't doing a FP/Xona turbo. We should talk about that before doing the EFR. ;) Considering he's been doing 4g specific turbos for 25 years, AND sponsors so many good events including Shootout, RaceWeeks and Kevin Jewer's track (the legend of the DSM compound turbos),,,, it's a no brainer to get a turbo from him. Oh, and the record holding 3S ran and FP4580htz. etc etc etc etc etc. Message me. :D

Love to see you back in the game. Legend in my eyes!
I'll probably go that route. EFR showed up today....of course damaged as it was a supercore. So that's going back to seller.

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally unpacked that shortblock as I'm still frustrated about receiving a damaged turbo. Pending my other chores, I may get this block cleaned up, threads chased, and painted this weekend.

Got the majority of the long block stuff coming except a few items. Should get those ordered in the coming weeks and then the big push to get an assembled longblock in the engine bay.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Sweet!

Recommend a kiggly girdle since you plan on pushing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: niterydr

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Kiggly main girdle on the way. As well as the rest of the longblock parts :)

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Nice! Race to see who's car is running first? You have a major headstart and don't have to figure out how to make it fit lol

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice! Race to see who's car is running first? You have a major headstart and don't have to figure out how to make it fit lol
Yeah some dude made bolt in mounts for me. ;)

You'll probably beat me to that race as I've got quite a path still to get this going. I'd like to hear the motor fire in 2022.

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't know 4g doesn't have grooves on the block for the main bearings. And the oil feed holes are massive for an iron block.
There are multiple variations of 4g63 motors. 6 bolt vs 7 bolt. Non turbo vs turbo. Differences end up being main cap design, oil grooves, oil squirters/jets, etc.

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got a big shipment today. L19 head studs, springs, retainers, cams, keepers, and a few other bits.

Got a bunch of goodies in the mail. Need the main girdle and rods (Monday/Tuesday next week) and then hopefully can carry everything up to the machine shop next week for balance. Maybe putting together a shortblock before the end of the month!

Rest of the accessories are coming along. Anyone want a Series 1 AEM ems for a 2g dsm? 4g swap guys, it should plug into your harness. Move some wires and you're off running.
Letting it go cheap. Going to switch to Fueltech

Reactions: mdcrose

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I love a good come back story/build thread, so thanks for posting. I remember your car from back in the day. Glad to see it’s still in great shape and it’s gonna breath life again. That color of blue is super rare isn’t it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts