Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, talk about weird. I just got around to inspecting a block from the engine I pulled out of Greedy Bone's ES before we put the turbo engine in there. I come to find it only has a 83mm bore (stock being 91mm). That makes it a whopping 2.5L engine. This was a jspec N/A motor. I'm beginning to wonder what the hell it was out of. Anyone know what had a DOHC 2.5L engine in it?

·
Only Tonic is Chronic
1,549 Posts
Mitsubishi HJ 6A13 2.5L V6 DOHC 24 Valve EFI Non Turbo 1996 On (Excluding Australia) --European Galant

Or...Mitsubishi TE - TF Magna 6A13 2.5L V6 DOHC 24 Valve EFI 1996 on (Japan Only) --Mitsubishi Magna

My money is one one of those Engines

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Weell..

I know I've seen specs for a 6g73 that displaces 2.5 liters, but I don't know much else about it (like what it's in or if it comes in DOHC or SOHC). Does it look the same to all outward appearences? Are the heads different at all or did someone maybe swap heads?

Ron

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
hahha, maybe that's why he couldnt out run me that time in charlotte ;)

oh yeah, the Galant vr4 in japan these days has a 2.5L v6 similar to ours, but its a twin turbo, im not sure what else has a 2.5L

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looked the same from the outside.... I laid the block next to another SL block and was like WTF? :)

Redstorm, I just was looking at that site :).

I feel robbed, I traded a used HKS turbo exhaust for that motor.... now I'm gonna have to bore the crap out of it :(.

I'm trying to find specs on the engine so I can see if the cams for the heads are the same.... I'll measure everything up the next time I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Check the bore wall thickness before attempting such an aggressive over-bore. You'll probably find that you'll hit the water jacket before you reach a 91.1mm bore. The 2.5L & 3.0L blocks may look similar on the outside but I bet the internal cores differ (sand cast cores).

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
The closest matches I could find for a 2.5L engine and configurations by Mitsubishi are as follows :

- Mitsubishi 6A13 2.5L V6 DOHC 24 Valve EFI Non Turbo

- Mitsubishi 6A13 2.5L V6 DOHC 24 Valve EFI Single Turbo

- Mitsubishi 6A13 2.5L V6 DOHC 24 Valve EFI Twin Turbo

- Mitsubishi 6A13 2.5L DOHC 24 Valve V6 Turbo / Non Turbo

- Mitsubishi 6A13 2.5L DOHC 24 Valve V6 with Mivec Turbo / Non Turbo

- Mitsubishi 4G64 2.4L SOHC 16 Valve EFI

- Mitsubishi 4G64B 2.4L 8 Valve Turbo / Non Turbo

- Mitsubishi 4G64B 2.4L SOHC 16 Valve EFI

- Mitsubishi 4G64B 2.4L DOHC 16 Valve EFI

- Mitsubishi 4G54 2.6L SOHC 8 Valve Carby

- Mitsubishi 4G54 2.6L SOHC 8 Valve EFI

Is there by chance any different model coding on the block?

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
Yah there should be coding on the block. I know I saw 6G72 on the block when I was pulling the TT apart.

It seems like the most likely candidate is the 6A13 engine, but how the hell did it get in his car? Can you tell if it was there from production or what is installed at a later time? This is very strange!

·
og
4,293 Posts
whoa, can't wait to see this tonight...

- mike

·
Sc300-2jzgte coming soon
2,047 Posts
how the hell did that get into a stealth?

·
Sc300-2jzgte coming soon
2,047 Posts
someone probably blew the origional engine and said why not and droped that in there then sold it. what is the hp rating on that btw?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
chuck said:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by South_FL_RT
how the hell did that get into a stealth?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ya? good question:)
Ya think? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
I think I found out how it got into a Stealth. It appears that the Mitsubishi Diamante also used that engine as well. And as most of us know, the Diamante and the 3KGT have basically the same engine & engine bay setup. Someone probably did blow out the engine on the Stealth (like South_FL_RT said) and was told that the engines between the Diamante and Stealth/3KGT were the same and swapped one in. Also, little bit of trivia, the Diamante also used the 6G73 engines like ours, as well as a 6G71 2.0L SOHC engine which produced [email protected]

As for the Horsepower rating on the 6G73, it is [email protected]

Just incase you were wondering, this info is all derived from

Mitsubishi Japan's website for the Diamante

1 - 20 of 31 Posts